Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character set error

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2144 Views, 3 Replies

Character set error

Hi Everyone

I'm getting an error with my character set and I've searched everywhere online and asked friends but can't find a solution.

We need Character Sets at work to use the trax editor and transferring animation clips between characters. I have made some minor alterations to a rig and made sure to replicate the character set to avoid errors (exact same attributes and exact same order)

Now I have no problems when I apply a clip but when I try and key the Character Set for handkeyed animation I get the following error:

// Error: animCurve creation or connection failed for attribute Soldier.Bone01_L_Finger0_translateX

and it will spit out a list of all the objects in the script editor saying: // Warning: attribute already connected: Bone01_L_Finger01.jointOrientX //

I've seen quite a few people asking online about this error but there's no solutions and I find it weird that I wasn't getting this error before. Can anyone please give me an idea?

Thanks in advance

Travis
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm so confusing. I have the same problem.
But not the first time. I remember, that I had the same some time ago and then it worked by first creating an empty character-set and then selecting the joints and controls + attributes seperately and adding them via "Character/Add to character-set"
But now, even this does not work. Maybe this is a solution for you.
I guess the reason are the expressions I use within the rig, because when I delete them, it workes. But I need the expressions, so I don't know how to fix it otherwisely.
Message 3 of 4
lschock

just had the same problem and found a fix.

1. In the outliner select the object and RMB>Show Attributes
2. Select the broken attributes and one more channel or object, on which you have already keys on
3. In the Graph Editor you should see all the channels
4. select a keyframe from the object which has already keys on and Copy (Ctrl-C)
5. select the broken attribute channel in the Graph Editor
6. Paste the key from the other channel (Ctrl-V)
7. now the broken channel should be able to receive animation again
Lead Animator,
Eidos Montreal
Message 4 of 4
origin-of-life

Hi there,

I had the same error and whilst I appreciate this is 7 years too late I thought it'd be best to post this reply in case anyone else encountered a similar error.

I found that I had accidentally added some controls to my character set that were being driven by other parts of the rig I was working on and obviously you can't set a key on something that is being driven by another control. What happened then is that anything in the character set order that was below the problem control was also not being set as a result and throwing up the error you have received.

So I removed my character set and ensured that i only had the controls and attributes of those controls that i was going to use before creating a new character set and now the rig works just fine and i don't have to manually key everything in before hand. So if you have any character controls that have constraints, set driven keys, are being driven through the relationship editor or have expressions on them I recommend you remove those attributes before you create your character set or you can remove them in the character set editor by going to Window > Relationship Editors > Character Sets (Maya 2016).

As I said i know i'm a bit late to the party but i thought it was worth posting here as this is the first post that comes up when you google this issue.

Thank you and good day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report