Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cuurent support for Right Angle Heads

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JoeBarnes4076
1606 Views, 7 Replies

Cuurent support for Right Angle Heads

What is the current support for programming right angle heads?
Joe
Inventor HSM 2015
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

It could theoretically be done. But would we would need to know a lot more about its capabilities. You would most likely also need to be running full InventorHSM to do the indexing type moves.
Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 3 of 8
ArjanDijk
in reply to: JoeBarnes4076

Hi Joe,

If you use 0 and 90 degrees it could be mostly a postprocessor thing. I worked with an old Maho machine with Heidenhain control, and we added a post configuration option "use horizontal yes/no". On this machine the coordinate system changed from tool pointing in Z directing to tool pointing in Y direction on tilting the head. If your machine is the same, it needs to be done in the post.

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 4 of 8

Arjan wrote:

Hi Joe,

If you use 0 and 90 degrees it could be mostly a postprocessor thing. I worked with an old Maho machine with Heidenhain control, and we added a post configuration option "use horizontal yes/no". On this machine the coordinate system changed from tool pointing in Z directing to tool pointing in Y direction on tilting the head. If your machine is the same, it needs to be done in the post.

We´ll a solution to use angular heads in Inventor HSM now is to do it in the post indeed. But this would become quite tricky when your machine has more then 3-axis. Also the Maho machine everything thing stays the same it's just the axis switch that Achim made in the Maho post. But when you are able to turn the head by the program this isn't possible since it's not just axes being swapped.
So I understand it won't be a high priority but maybe put it on the list so it could be simulated correctly as well.(Very very hard I know)

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 5 of 8

eeek! We are at the beginning potential usage.

Thanks for the response

Joe
Message 6 of 8

My concern would be if the machine has a straight 3 axis control. If you’re working at 90° quadrants you “could” just swap the axis so you would be drilling in the X axis instead of the Z for an example. But when you get to the odd angles it can get quite complicated depending on the control. And if the head also has a Z tilt it would be even worse. That’s why I said it could theoretically be done but there is a lot more that needs to be known before I could say yes or no.
Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 7 of 8

I have a post for this but never tested it. The issues are the tool length offset (from the gage line at the main spindle to the center of the tool) and the X or Y offset the distance from the main spindle axis to the tool tip. This value could be in X or Y + or -. Another issue is the spindle rotation direction of the 90 degree head. Probably runs reverse of the main spindle direction. This depends on the head.

See some info here http://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=164.msg752#msg752

I was quoting a job for this function. But the job never happened. I think we were going to use a macro variable for the tool orientation and the length from the main spindle to the tool tip. If this is going to be a reality, then the tool needs to be defined within the tool file 2.0 so that real machine simulation can happen.

Don't know if this helps, but it might be a start.
Message 8 of 8
scottmoyse
in reply to: JoeBarnes4076

Hey @JoeBarnes4076 did you ever get anywhere with doing this?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report