(built-in) High Feed rate ??

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
latestconceptsinc
4180 Views, 16 Replies

(built-in) High Feed rate ??

Thanks in advance for any help,

I am running HSMexpress and using the Haas generic Post, i dont know what to enter in the field for (BUILT-IN) HIGH FEEDRATE.

Would i enter my machines max rapid ipm? or ?

if i enter 300, my Haas VF2 codes out.

when i enter up to 150 it seems ok ...

built in high feed.JPGwhat is (built-in) high feed rate?

again thanks for your help

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Many machines rapid at higher rates than a G1 feedrate can be programmed, so you would enter the maximum non-rapid feedrate (G1, G2 etc.) that the machine will accept.

Edit: I should add that this WILL NOT limit a programmed feedrate in a toolpath. I had the Fadal try and take off at 833 IPM the other day. Without error, even. Was a bit of a surprise.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 17

On the front of my machine is claims 710 IPM.

are you saying its asking for the max cutting feed rate(G0) or max rapid (G01) in the Post (built-in) high feed rate field?

i am sorry if this doesnt make sense, i am very new to all this.....

Message 4 of 17

G0 (or G00 in the extended proper term) is rapid. G1 (G01) is commanded feed (but so are G02, G03, all with an F value).

What is your machine?
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 17

Its an antique...

1997 Haas VFOE.

Message 6 of 17

we should first answer what this parameter does.

It will do two things.

1. It will cause an error if you attempt to post a program that has feedrates that exceed this value
  2. It defines the feedrate when Rapid moves need to be converted to Highfeed moves
    1. this happens for dog-legged rapids.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 7 of 17

@al.whatmough wrote:

we should first answer what this parameter does.

It will do two things.

1. It will cause an error if you attempt to post a program that has feedrates that exceed this value
  2. It defines the feedrate when Rapid moves need to be converted to Highfeed moves
    1. this happens for dog-legged rapids.

Al,

I hate to do this but this is not totally the case.

1. Posts will not error out when the programmed feedrate is higher than the highFeedrate property.(Just tested this to be sure, this can easily be made of course.)
  2. Yes, in some posts possible "dogleg" moves are posted out in highfeed, but for fanuc posts for example this is not the case and those machine do dogleg when you are not in contour control mode.
  3. It is always outputted if you choose this in the linking tab of your operation.(There is a drop down that usually says "preserve rapid movement", but you can choose for "always use high feed")

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 8 of 17

right you are, I certainly had a brain fart on that one.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 9 of 17

@al.whatmough wrote:

right you are, I certainly had a brain fart on that one.

NP, luckily we can always help each other here on the forum. Smiley Wink

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 10 of 17
Steinwerks
in reply to: al.whatmough

Watching a 1997 Fadal try and move at 833 IPM is... a little unnerving. Especially when the high feedrate is entered as 200 Smiley Wink

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 11 of 17

Well..

I have been testing this and correct me if i am wrong please.

My machine's Max feed rate is 300". I made a few small programs at the machine and it will defintly rapid at 300" ( holy crap the whole machine shakes ) but that proves my machine actualy could read that feed rate and not Alarm.

When posting i should be able to enter 300 as the "(Built-in) High Feed Rate" in that field?? right?

built in high feed.JPG

i am not sure why but when i do, every program that gets posted with a "(Built-in) High Feed Rate" above 150 triggers an alarm.

Am i not seeing the obvious here???

thanks

Message 12 of 17

What is that alarm?

But apart from that, I think you focus on something that doesn't really matter.

The high feed is never used if you don't choose for it specifically and there are nearly no reasons to choose it.

I have it set to 0 for our milling machines.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 13 of 17

Laurens

It is a 309 (exceeded feed rate ) alarm.

"The high feed is never used if you don't choose for it specifically and there are nearly no reasons to choose it."

How would i not choose for it? i mean if i set that data field to 0 will it rapid @ the last feed rate enetered?

Message 14 of 17

Oh you want the post to make sure there are no doglegs?

In that case you need it indeed.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 15 of 17

I haven't seen this value have an effect yet. I always just use the settings on the linking tab. I suppose you have to select the override as well as specify the speed to get it to work.

I think I'd just prefer to have more granula control and so do it in each op instead.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 16 of 17
Steinwerks
in reply to: scottmoyse

@scottmoyse wrote:
I haven't seen this value have an effect yet. I always just use the settings on the linking tab. I suppose you have to select the override as well as specify the speed to get it to work.

I think I'd just prefer to have more granula control and so do it in each op instead.

If the post outputs high feed motion and no rapids (looking at you generic Fadal pp!) it will use the high feedrate number between operations.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 17 of 17
Stu.r.holmes
in reply to: Steinwerks

I also had trouble with with (built in) High Feed rate. Here is how to not use it anyways........

If you don't want to use it simply enable the G0 line in the post window (I prefer to have control over the rapid speed at the controller rather than have than a pre programmed speed that you can't slow down with out effecting the cutting speed of the operation). I'm in a prototype shop so always nice to control the speed of the movements around clamps etc on one offs or setups.Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report