Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Assembly with iLogic

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
florina.moisa
391 Views, 3 Replies

Large Assembly with iLogic

I have an electrofilter that contains 465 assemblies and almost 3000 parts, each part has been parameterized.
Starting from this model (which has 16 curtains) I should make another with different sizes(12 curtains).
What would be the right technique to use, having only parameterized parts and no iLogic rules?
I think making a rule for each part that will have at least one multi value parameter, then choosing the desired value is not the practice ...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
WCrihfield
in reply to: florina.moisa

Hi @florina.moisa.  Are you just now getting into iLogic, or are you experienced with it?  If none of those files currently have any iLogic rules in them, but you want to be able to control them through iLogic automation, I would suggest using primarily 'external' iLogic rules, and 'global' iLogic forms.  External iLogic rules are stored as text files, outside of any Inventor document.  And the specifications for your global iLogic forms are kept in external XML files, instead of within any Inventor document.  These are much easier to manage later than their 'local' counterparts.  Regular internal iLogic rules are stored within an Inventor document, and do have some functional advantages over using external iLogic rules, like simpler triggering of the rule to run when parameter values change, but can be more difficult to manage once you may have hundreds of Inventor documents with 'old' versions of code in them and changes become needed.  It is a similar situation for internal/local iLogic forms.  They do have a slight functional advantage, by being more instantly reactive to parameter changes, but are more difficult to manage down the road when large quantities of documents are involved, and changes may need to be made.  It is much easier to have many documents using a single external iLogic rule or single global form, where that rule or form can be edited/updated once, than it is to change the contents of internal rules or local iLogic forms within hundreds of different documents.  Don't get me wrong, I still use internal iLogic rules, but when I do, I keep them very simple, and usually just have them run an external rule, or show a global form when things happen in that document, instead of containing all of the detailed functional code, especially when that same code could be used by many other documents.

Just some words of wisdom for future automation planning.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 4

I just started with ilogic and have no experience, I can only make simple rules, modules but I do not know how to generate a complex assembly with ilogic.
I’ll take a course for this particular need.
Thank you for your reply and for your time.

Message 4 of 4
WCrihfield
in reply to: florina.moisa

Glad to help.  That's what this forum is all about.  By the way, learning iLogic is not always the easiest for everyone, so I put together a page of helpful links that may help you out along the way.  There are also other posts here on the forums about folks just getting started into iLogic which also contain many good links.  There are also several folks here on the forum that provide links to their own online blog sites about Inventor and examples of how to automate it in different ways.  Happy hunting, and best of luck. 🙂

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report