Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts and iLogic in the factory not pushing to members

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
chris_blessing
379 Views, 5 Replies

iParts and iLogic in the factory not pushing to members

I have created an iPart factory in which I wrote an iLogic to convert the weight to a whole number and write it as a custom property. The iLogic rule has been applied to the Event Trigger "Before Save". This set up works fine on the factory and all of my other parts.

Within the member, it seams as if the the iLogic rule does not push to the generated member, but the member remembers the event trigger so it continues to give the error that it cannot find the rule. 

Am I doing something wrong, is this a glitch in this part, or is this an issue with Inventor 2020?

chris_blessing_0-1656526809160.pngchris_blessing_1-1656526813898.pngchris_blessing_2-1656526821759.png

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
A.Acheson
in reply to: chris_blessing

No glitch, Ilogic isn’t support in iPart members as they are read only. When used as a library part anyhow. They are like a snapshot of the factory. Information gets pushed from the factory to the members through the factory table . You can run a rule on the factory but either suppress and remove the trigger or remove the rule and use as an external rule.  In other words place the mass in the table and disconnect the source. 

Here the mass issue into table discussed.

One of the major drawbacks of having a custom iprop weight is that this is now a second iproperty independent of the mass iproperty. Which means you have to have an iproperty weight in all your regular parts and assemblies. So it becomes a chicken and an egg question. I don’t believe the idea was ever actually implemented and it becomes a big rats nest of workarounds for such a simple implement. 

A workaround would be to have a density change on custom material but it becomes a little awkward trying to get a data sheet mass to be like your model.

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 3 of 6
chris_blessing
in reply to: A.Acheson

I agree with your drawback on a normal basis. In our case, our design department is new for the company and we are having to create new 3d models for all of our machined parts anyway so I'm basically starting from scratch with new templates anyway. I'm using the custom iproperty on a note just for general purpose when they go and try to move these things around they know what they are looking at.

Message 4 of 6
chris_blessing

I tried to do it as an external rule, but it wouldn't find it from one user to another. I gave up and just added it to the emulate document. It hasn't been an issue to simply add it to old models when we come across it.

Message 5 of 6
chris_blessing

Why would the ipart member retain the event trigger, but not the rule?

Message 6 of 6
A.Acheson
in reply to: chris_blessing

Not really sure of the in's and outs of it ilogic is likely blocked to run on the members. I came across the same drawbacks before and opted to have external rule to do any calculating and remove when table was complete. Mostly to bring in a bunch of iproperties from excel. Knowing the member file accepts no modification directly is what I've learned. The mass iproperty works well if the model is accurate. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report