Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic defying all logic...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
fridtjofZM5ME
463 Views, 7 Replies

iLogic defying all logic...

Well this one is a new one for me. Take a close look at the dimensions and their values, also compared to the measurement. All values are calculated by iLogic, but regardless of that this shouldn't be possible. Does anybody know what might cause it?

Skjermbilde 2021-11-15 090537.jpg

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
WCrihfield
in reply to: fridtjofZM5ME

What are we looking at there...a true 2D sketch, a 3D sketch, 3D Model Annotations and sketch stuff?  I see lots of planes and a part passing through the scene an an angle.  If the bottom dimension (which I think says 620.5, but it's hard to read) is pointing to something further in depth (up or down) than the sketch plane, but the annotation is forced to an annotation plane, it could then be correct, but it's just doesn't look right due to how it is projected onto the annotation plane, which might not be perfectly parallel with the points being measured between.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 8
J-Camper

I have seen similar graphical issues, where the dimension value shows an incorrect value, but this is usually solved by rebuilding/updating the document or calling the sketch to solve.  I always considered it a graphically update issue as the model was showing correct values, just the displayed dimensions did not update their values. 

Do the mismatched dimensions persist after updating document, Rebuilding Document, or Calling the sketch to solve?

Message 4 of 8

@WCrihfield  I tried capturing it in one picture without doing too much out of it. What we see here is a 2D sketck in the parts top plane where we have two dimensions both refered to origin on the right righ side, and each respective end of the same line on the left side. The peculiar thing is that the dimension from origin to the point furthest to the left have a lesser numerical value than the dimension going from origin to the second furthest point to the left. Inventor is apparenty contradicting itself here. On top of that, the measurement value from origin to the second furthest left point is unequal to the dimension value between the same two points.

If I'm to guess, things like these happen because even if the iLogic is read top left to bottom right by the system, it doesen't mean the system will finish one task before starting the next (unless you instruct it to do so). I'm still learning iLogic (entirely self taught so far, with no prior programming experience whatsoever), and I've tried using "ThisApplication.UserInterfaceManager.DoEvents" all the places where I suspect errors to originate from processes not finishing prior to dependent processes being started, but I'm not exactly sure how that line works.

@J-Camper No; rebuild, refresh or update does nothing, as does re-running the iLogic-rule that defines these dimensions. Only thing that appeard to help was deleting the dimensions and redefining them to the exact same reference points they had to begin with, referring the dimension input to the exact same parameters they also had to begin with. "Manual regenerate" sort of...

Message 5 of 8
J-Camper

@fridtjofZM5ME, Did you try calling the sketch to solve? [oSketch.Solve()]  What about a closing inventor and re-opening the part? does the wrong dimension text persist through that?

Message 6 of 8
fridtjofZM5ME
in reply to: J-Camper

@J-Camper  After I've re-entered the dimensions it appears to be working again. Weird...

Message 7 of 8
J-Camper

It's always been a graphical display issue whenever I've run across "wrong" dimensions like this.  I've even seen it when a dimensional change happens in one of our global blocks, and there is a dimension pulled to it.  The model represented the correct value but the displayed dimension did not match. 

Can you get the issue to re-appear through the same rule that initially caused the glitch, or is it not glitching anymore?

Message 8 of 8
fridtjofZM5ME
in reply to: J-Camper

For now at least it appears that the glitch is gone. Concidering the larger picture, my workstation with regards to anything Autodesk has been a bit janky as of late. The computer was never intended to run Inventor when I got it in 2017, but a slightly better graphics card and some extra ram helped it along until now. Exiting to see how much longer it will be bearable to work with...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report