Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch between General and Driven dimension while pulling dimension

Switch between General and Driven dimension while pulling dimension

Dimension Mode Switch.png

Right now, when working on a 2D part sketch, we have to be in the correct dimension mode before we pull a dimension, or else we have to place the dimension as the wrong type and then change it, or cancel out, switch modes, and re-create the dimension.

It would be very handy if we could click the Toggle button or hit a keyboard shortcut (either the shortcut assigned to it, or something like the Tab key) and quickly toggle between General and Driven dimension types while pulling a dimension.

3 Comments
salariua
Mentor

@PaulMunford was sharing this so I've decided to check it out but I must admit that I don't fully understand your need. It is quite late and had a log day so please help me understand it.

First I will explain my way of doing driven to normal and backwards.

I have "dd" as shortkey for toggling dimensions, driven or normal. In tube and pipe which I use a lot some dimennsions flip side and you then need to delete them or change to driven, drag the lines, and then dimension again or switch the driven dimension to normal and edit it's value.

Do you place a lot of driven dimension? because normally you place them right towrads the end when everyhing is constrained and dimensioned so it's comming as driven dimension by default.

I am really tired but I hope I make sense.

Thanks

DRoam
Mentor

@salariua wrote:

I have "dd" as shortkey for toggling dimensions, driven or normal. In tube and pipe which I use a lot some dimennsions flip side and you then need to delete them or change to driven, drag the lines, and then dimension again or switch the driven dimension to normal and edit it's value.

This method is for switching the dimension type once it's already placed. I do this as well.

@salariua wrote:

Do you place a lot of driven dimension? because normally you place them right towrads the end when everyhing is constrained and dimensioned so it's comming as driven dimension by default.

This is true, but the motivation behind this request is twofold: 1) We often pull a dimension, and then realize we're in the wrong mode. 2) We often are quickly going through our sketch dimensioning it and for specific reasons want a dimension to be driven even though the sketch isn't fully constrained yet; it's an unnecessary break in the workflow to pull a dimension, try to toggle it to driven, and then realize you can't.

I'm not saying it's a killer issue, it doesn't take a lot of time to cancel, toggle, then re-dimension. But those steps should be unnecessary. Why should we not be able to toggle the dimension mode at any time, especially when actually creating one? Hopefully this is one of those no-brainers that's an easy change to the software.

salariua
Mentor

I am not sure it's that easy... it might be. The problem is when you have "edit dimension when created" on.

The "dd" workflow will work before you start the dimension command, to toggle future dimensions mode between driven and normal.

Pressing it once on the ribbon or using the shortkey will change the default mode to driven and it will stay active until you change it from the ribbon or shortkey again.

It's not want you want and you need to think ahead what dimension type you need next.

However TAB is not valid because when placing rectangular or any geometry with multi-dimensions it's used to jump between dimensions to edit.

I hope I didn't came to strong, just trying to understand what you wanted.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report