Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawings - Allow Multiple View Alignment

Drawings - Allow Multiple View Alignment

Currently (Inventor 2013), if I select a view to align to another view, I can only align it to one view, either Horizontally or Vertically, but what if I want to align that view to one Horizontally and then to another Vertically?

You can't do that for some strange reason still.

I'm not talking about Protjecting views, every now and then I need to create a drawing of different models on the same sheet and would like to have the views all lined up with one another. That's not possible yet for some odd reason.

This should be pretty easy to add. Am I missing something?

42 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish there would be some way to align views together.

I know I can align every view on other view but i need to get those aligned together with 2 views. (see attachment)

It would also be nice if I could align those views with lines inside the views. Like there would be constrain-options to make 2 lines colinear 🙂

Tags (3)
stuartmp
Advocate

Good Idea, This would be nice to see.

I pan use the edge of my screen so that I can align view in this case

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, especially for the benefit of GA drawings, I'd like Inventor to give the draughtman freedom to align views as he sees fit: Inventor has its own ideas about what constitutes 'horizontal' and 'vertical' alignment, which is not always what the designer wants. I'm particularly thinking about situations where the views show some relative movement, such as "View with cylinder extended" and ""View with cylinder retracted" positioned below each other on the drawing sheet. An ability for the designer to align views by projecting geometry and dimensioning (similar to the work-flow used to create sketches on a view) would be useful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see this too. The standard horizontal and vertical alignment tools work in *most* cases, but there are situations, particularly where you are are showing two views of an assembly side by side where one component moves relative another, where the software isn't smart enough to predict your wishes. The option to pick geometry in one 'viewport' and align it horizontally or vertically with geometry in a second 'viewport' would be very useful. At the moment I am reduced to drawing a suitable dimension right across the drawing sheet from one viewport, and aligning the other viewport with it 'by eye', which is not very satisfactory.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

This is a duplicte of the request to support more than one view alignment per view.  See here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/drawings-allow-multiple-view-alignment/idi-p/3841... I am going to move this post & merge the kudos.  Thanks! -Dan

When you have several positional representation and create drawing views of them, I would like to align them.

I can do this with Align Horizontal, but then the centers of the view are aglined

I would like to align the bottom edge (edge of my choice), or choose a line for the alignment (green line)

ScreenShot353.png

DRoam
Mentor

This has actually been requested before. The original is located here: Want to use any geometry for view alignment on a drawing file. Would be best if everyone gives their votes and comments to the original so support is not split between posts.

you are Right DRoam, I had looked foor other posts on this but did not find any. best is to have one post that gets all the votes..

how can I take this down?

DRoam
Mentor

That's ok, the other is a little ambiguously named and doesn't include the word "edge" which you'd kind of expect to see for this functionality request.

Unfortunately you can't, but if Autodesk sees this and gets around to it they can merge the two together. No worries!

DRoam
Mentor

A few related ideas that could be considered when implementing this:

DRoam
Mentor

Another related idea: Drawings - Add View Alignment Tools

Jay_Grossman
Autodesk

Spinning up a discussion around this on our beta discussion site.  Message me if you need an invite.

https://beta.autodesk.com/project/forum/thread.html?cap=FB14413735EE42C99624E3793B19A0B2&forid={EB8C...

Best,

Jay Grossman

Autodesk, Inc

inflateable
Enthusiast

Sometimes we need to put two drawing views over the top of each other.  For example, we might have a model of a complicated casting, and want to see if it has enough material to machine a particular part from.   We can align drawing views horizontaly, or vertically, but then have to 'eyeball' it to see if we can fit one shape inside the other.

We could do this in an assembly, but we often want to eliminate the third dimension that can cause errors.   At present we resort to exporting drawings views into autocad, where we have more freedom.

I would like the option to align two edges the drawing of two different components.   You would click edge one of part one, and edge two of part two, and the would snap together.

Tags (1)
jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi

The idea you submitted is quite similar to below, which has been accepted. You can cast kudos to below idea.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drawings-allow-multiple-view-alignment/idi-p/3841003

Regards,

Jingyi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be very keen to see this functionality added to inventor.

I want to align 2 drawing views to the bottom of the view not the middle. 

It would also be great to be able to choose a line or a point from each view and align the views to those features either horizontally or vertically. 

Cheers, Finn

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Updating this Idea status to Future Consideration.

johnmondro4888
Advocate

@jtylerbc please check the other link you suggested again. status changed back to "Future Consideration".

@GCIIEvan Well said! I have a department full of mechanical designers that have voiced almost the exact same frustrations. Former AutoCAD users that love Inventor - but...

Seems (sadly) amusing that we have to ask for this functionality within Inventor. Flexibility in aligning views = "Drafting 101". Please give us a bit more control of the documents that we ultimately have to publish and distribute Adesk. Thanks!

jtylerbc
Mentor

@johnmondro4888, I think the link I had posted (way back in 2014) is invalid altogether.  The idea it previously pointed at has probably been merged with this one, so now they're one thread.  There has been a significant amount of cleanup done in the idea posts since then, and this seems to be one of the sets of duplicated ideas that has been consolidated.

As to why they went backward on acceptance status when they combined the threads, I have no clue.

johnmondro4888
Advocate

@jtylerbc LOL - thanks for the note! I was trying to be careful and didn't even notice the date. Ahh, to be back in 2014 and be able to run out with friends and grab a burger...

emanuel.c
Collaborator

2021 almost 2022

Still hasn't been implemented??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report