Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derive "visible" vs "enabled" functionality

Derive "visible" vs "enabled" functionality

It would also be REALLY great if when doing a DERIVE that all members of the tree, regardless of visibility, could be selected in the new part.  Example:

This is the part I am trying to derive from. Notice it has a solid, and a sketch that is not currently visible, but exists.

base_feature_tree.JPG

This is the part I am trying to derive to. Why should the sketch not be a selected option?

derive_suggestion_two.JPG

Please, please don't make me have to open the object, turn on the sketch visibility, and then save it, then attempt to rederive my object, only to have to turn off the visibility after the whole thing is done again.

This involves too many clicks and steps. I *should* just be able to select the sketch. 

Visibility != Enabled. If you want to allow the ability for objects to have features that are hidden from a derive operation, modify the behavior so that it is hidden by unchecked "enabled" instead of "visible".

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the reason this happens is because you have the Extrusion consuming the inputs. If you share the sketch, it should be selectable (In your example, Work Plane 1 is not visible, but is selectable).

RobertWK
Collaborator
Even if that is the case, I feel the default behavior should be selectable unless otherwise specified not to participate. (Opt out vs opt in)
DRoam
Mentor

@Anonymous is correct, and I somewhat see Autodesk's reasoning behind requiring a sketch to be un-consumed in order to be derived... but at the same time, I don't. It's not like the sketch can be edited from the Derived instance, so it would would make sense for it to be available to the derive operation even if it's consumed. So I'm giving this a kudo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report