Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View representations

View representations

Hello. 

Could you please have a look at separating the views of part and assembly model and the view of a tree, so the view of a tree stays the same as you go through the visual representations? 

For example, every time I change a view in an assembly (to monitor state of visual repersentation of its components), the view of a tree changes as well. From my point of view as a user that very often works with complex assemblies, this is highly undesirable as I am forced to, during going through views in a tree (by making them active one by one), constantly look for my components in it, because they move up and down and sideways, as the tree expands or contracts (to a states that inventor remembered on view creation). This is very time-consuming and forces me to shift my focus from the real task of setting up the model correctly, to actually solving inventor technicalities, so therefore very annoying.

The similar thing happens on part level, where the features and sketches are expanding or collapsing on view change.

Why this suggestion?

This suggestion could probably be considered as a derivative of another Inventor problem - lack of having configurations manager in parts and assemblies, so many people, including myself, are using LoDs and views for this purpose. Having the tree not changing its view, while going through views of a part or assembly model would make using Inventor much easier and more pleasant. The solution might be as simple as adding a settings somewhere in application options, or if preferred and/or easier for developers, on some more prominent and readily accessible spot, for example, in a model tab could be added a checkbox to say "static" or not, if someone current situation is more convenient to use.

I really hope this is going to be incorporated in some of future versions of Inventor, or myself educated, if the option already exists and I did not find it.

Thanks. 

1 Comment
jtylerbc
Mentor

I see this as an odd thing to have tied to the View Representation.  It took me a somewhat embarrassingly long time to realize that's why my browser kept changing.  To me, View Representations and browser states have so little to do with each other that it never even occurred to me that they were connected until someone else pointed it out to me.

You may have already ruled them out for some reason, but in case you weren't aware, iAssemblies are actually the closest thing to a "configuration manager" currently in Inventor.  LOD's and View Representations aren't really intended for that purpose, and thus aren't very good at it.  If you are not familiar with iAssemblies, you may want to check them out to see if they can help you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report