Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Fitting Text

Smart Fitting Text

I would like to see a smart fit to textbox option. Currently if you fit text to the textbox it will be stretched if it is smaller than the textbox. This can look really bad. I suggest having the text normal sized until it is larger than the textbox, then it would be fitted.

As you can see the fit text option stretches this text because it normally wouldn't fill the textbox.

fit text.PNG

6 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

This would be nice extra control to have. Maybe in addition to the current "Fit" button, add a "Shrink to Fit" button which only shrinks long strings but won't enlarge short ones, like you're describing.

aky
Contributor
Contributor

I would really love this idea to come to life. Currently I do this by creating multiple TitleBlocks so I can choose the Text Width varying from 50%~100% which is such a hassle.

Fit Text that shrinks the text only when it exceeds the limits I set and leaving the short ones as 100% width would be really nice.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [27387]. Thanks!

erling_thingelstad
Contributor
Another alternative could be an option to cut the overflowing text. But this is better.
Anonymous
Not applicable

THIS!!! I have looked all over the place for years trying to find a way to do it. I finally came to the boards to suggest it and found it in the list already, so it has my vote! 

I think that stretching short text looks dreadful, but somewhat regularly need to squish overflowing text in various text fields (usually due to space limitations). Most often, I end up resorting to manually editing sketches/definitions to reduce width%, but this can eat up a decent chunk of time. When I have some time, my next move will be to see if I can use iLogic or similar coding to make a work-around.

IMO the best solution would be to replace the "fit text" option with two buttons, "compress text" and "stretch text", which can be toggled either individually or together (to get the same effect as current "fit text" option).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report