Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Slot And Tab

Sheet Metal Slot And Tab

Hello,

Have you guys seen the new Solidworks slot and tab feature! Autodesk you must bring this feature to Inventor it would be a life saver! We have been loyal to Autodesk for years, but this one feature has us seriously considering a few seats of Solidworks.

Check it out, and help push this to the top!

https://youtu.be/eBbIE3i7jJw

Thanks,
Isaac
71 Comments
benny_wellekens
Enthusiast

bennywellekens_4-1671978389002.png

bennywellekens_3-1671978349958.png

Yes, this feature would be great for tube features as well.

HOMOKI
Explorer

Any updates on this feature? 🙂 

Still waiting for this!

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
_Robert_
Participant

Dear Autodesk,

It's almost been 7 years since this request was posted.

This feature would be highly appreciated!

mikeh4
Collaborator

So we do some of this more for prototype than production as we have hard fixtures for production.  We looked at creating some ifeatures and standardizing on this internally and as we got into it the tolerances for a Plasma machine be it HiDef for Standard Def are drastically different from the laser.  Question to you guys is how would you expect to handle that?  A style with multiple Tab & Slot Scenarios?  I'd think we'd need a thin metal plasma style and a thick plasma style due to the changes in amount of kerf, or non squareness of the cut.  We try to keep MFG requirements off of prints so we're not constantly changing drawings for new MFG technology.  We set tolernaces and MFG can determine the best way to Manufacture.

Also how do you handle reuse of a parts.  Say we tab and slot 2 mating parts in an IAM.  Then we pick that one part up for a reuse and bring that into a different assy.  How do you add the tab or slot to the new mating part?  Can SW handle that scenario?

Regards

Raider_71
Collaborator

We have created an app that can do that if you guys are keen to try it and give feedback that would be nice. It caters to adding slots only if the part has already got tabs for instance.

Look for the video in the Tab and Slot folder: Download

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

@Raider_71  Hi, the app is very nice. You just can't edit the created shape. It's fine as an emergency. But it is a non-systematic solution. Solidworks has had this since about 2014? Maybe even earlier. You need to look at Inventor conceptually. Many functionalities are missing in Inventor. We as customers would like to see if the required functionalities were in the program. We customers work with Inventor every day and create many drawings. Maybe it would be nice if the developers also started creating drawings, then they would understand that new functionalities are as important as salt. I personally like the Tekla program, it is very sophisticated and there are many reports - I hear a lot of praise for the program from our production. Something is still missing in the Inventor program. I'm not talking about filters for BOM. Only 3 Sort Filters since 2000. Something incredible. I need to sort the positions in the BOM. Inventor is not for large assemblies - its structure is not made for it. And I do that with around 40 000 active copmonents.

martinjfarrow
Participant
I no longer use inventor so far behind I use on shape now.
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

@martinjfarrow We create many hundreds to thousands of drawings. We need to have control over the files. We would never want the cloud. The development of Inventor is very important to us. We design and manufacture many different machines - even special custom machines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_Inc9E7I4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report