Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save and replace - Associated drawing

Save and replace - Associated drawing

It would be nice if we had the option (checkbox or otherwise) to also copy a drawing associated with a part within Inventor. I will often be working in an assembly where I am utilizing a released (locked) part/assembly that I need to modify. Currently if I want to copy the drawing and part/assembly I need to copy design the part in Vault or through Inventors Copy design feature. It would be nice if I could utilize the 'Save and Replace' feature and also copy the associated drawing and possible IPN without having to copy design and replace that file.

2 Comments
RajSchmidt
Advisor

Thing is – a model does not retain any information where it is used. Hence Inventor, on its own, cannot do that. You need a data base behind that to work with a reasonable speed.

All Inventor functionalities which find an associated drawing are either looking for a drawing with the same file name or are running through all drawings, looking for the model inside. That’s why they all take ages to complete.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Not as nice as what you're suggesting, but you can get the desired result by manually making a copy of the drawing and using "Replace Model Reference" to change it to use the new copy of the part.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report