Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters Dialog overhaul

Parameters Dialog overhaul

The parameters dialog is good but lets make it excellent.

1. Have the ability to drag and drop the position of the parameter currently once created it stays there.

2 have the ability to lock parameters this would also effect the dimension in the sketch can not be deleted

3 add consumed by as a column currently to find out what a parameter is consumed by you have to mouse over every one to find what you are looking for

4 have a type drop down currently if you say create a text parameter then change your mind and want it as a numeric you have to delete it and start again

5 have custom categories of parameters currently having only 1 key is very limiting with the ability to filter by these

6 have the ability to add tabs with custom labels and colours and be able to drag and drop parameters between them

7 have the ability to search. The number of parameters can get very large

8 have a scientific calculator with all the inventor functions listed as well so if you type in this it can be entered in a equation box

9 be able to view parameters and parameter box by category colour and also sort and group by category

10 this maybe a big ask but can we now please have spaces and be able to enter any character

40.JPG

11 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk
Good ideas. Could we also have 'type' and 'instance' parameters - like Revit?
dvsmiller9
Advocate

I agree with all points except number 10.  Spaces don't typically place nice in expressions or programming (how many spaces are in that name?  I can't tell if it's 1 or 2, etc.) and certain characters are reserved as well (for operations e.g.).  What characters do you need that wouldn't be served by a number or another short word or abbreviation?

timdown73
Collaborator
david
Observer

These are really awesome suggestions! I agree with all of them as well with possibly the exception of Item 10. Inventor is becoming more and more automated with parameters being the drive tool and it would be nice if it was a little more user friendly and customizable.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I agree that spaces should NEVER be allowed in parameter names. Each company should adopt a company wide standard for parameter names. Talk to the IT or the programmers at your company if you have one.

InventorParameterName  - I prefer camel case as shown to the left.

Inventor_Parameter_Name  - Use underscores if you want the appearance of spaces.

1,2,3,7,8 are great ideas too. I could deal without the rest. If you need those other features (categories and tabs) to organize your parameters then I would guess your design may be too complex. Maybe I'm wrong. Robot Indifferent

Namoi1
Advocate

I'll add my 2 bits

1) with all these columns it would be good to be able to hide them (a remembered setting) because not everyone will use everything

2) if tabs are added then make sure we can navigate them with the keyboard i.e. ctrl+pgup etc

but other than that I'm with Permalink

petestrycharske
Advisor

I would like to see additional filter options as well.  Here is one that I think could be helpful for skeletal modeling techniques:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/better-manage-skeletal-models-with-parameter-sket...

Peace,

Pete

PaulMunford
Autodesk

Another idea to improve Parameter naming:

Automatically replace spaces with Underscores '_' in parameter names on creation.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/automatically-replace-spaces-with-underscores-in-param...

RStancescu
Collaborator

I need this functionality too!

DRoam
Mentor

Another great Parameter idea: copy and paste parameters

james.collinsPWQR2
Enthusiast

Great ideas, for 7 I would also like to see a Replace/Replace All option in there, for when I'm swapping expression parameters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report