Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move dialog boxes into the Ribbon

Move dialog boxes into the Ribbon

Dialog Boxes to Ribbon.png

How much time do you spend shuffling dialog boxes back and forth around the screen to get them out of the way or in a convenient location? What if the many dialog boxes in Inventor (Constraint, Pattern, Extrude, Revolve, Hole, Fillet, Chamfer, etc.) didn't take up any extra space on the screen and were always at the same convenient location?

It turns out there's already a space in Inventor that would be perfect for this: The Ribbon.

It's always there, just sitting doing nothing while you're working with the various dialog boxes I listed above. What if we made use of that space and put the dialog box contents directly into the Ribbon?

That way tools, settings, buttons and entry fields would always be out of the way and in the same convenient location.

Some people may prefer the dialog boxes or Mini-Toolbars. So it would definitely be necessary to let users choose (either in the Application Options or preferably on-the-fly) which of the three input methods to have active. But for those who would prefer for the various command interfaces to always be in the same convenient location without taking up any extra space, the option to have them in the Ribbon would be ideal.

14 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

Credit goes to @jorge-andrade for the original inspiration for this Idea. Please give his idea a vote as well: Simulation Player could be docked on the Command Bar. Thanks!

machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

I'm all for getting rid of the floating mini-toolbars. Those are awful to use. 

Great idea +1

Andrew2803
Advocate

Make considerations regarding the amount of travel by mouse if you stick everything to ribbon... (technically you may up to double it) 

I'd prefer more to complement (constrain dialog and such) with a "pin button" like this (or at least as a possible option):

pins.jpg

So they would appear always at "preferred place" or where they have been used at last time?

jorge-andrade
Enthusiast

@DRoam How nobody thought of it before? Excellent Mock-Up this looks more like the AutoCAD Array command:

2.png

You have my support. And about gaining space on Canvas, take a look at my idea for the presentation environment:

Undock Presentation Timeline in Inventor 2017

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Andrew2803, I did think of that (the extra mouse travel), and it is a valid point. But for me, the mouse movement saved by not having to shuffle dialog boxes back and forth would mitigate that a good deal. And the fact that the commands would always be in the exact same place would speed things up even more as muscle memory starts to come into play. I think the time to execute one or more constraints would be reduced in the end. Add to that the benefit of the commands not taking up any space on the screen, and it's a clear winner for me. May not be for everyone, but I think for a lot of people it would. If you agree, your vote would be appreciated 🙂 thanks for bringing that up!

Also, I agree that a pin button might be helpful -- but then you run into the issue of the dialog boxes always blocking space on the screen. That would be sort of how SolidWorks does it with their sidebar, and while I sort of like that, it takes up way too much space for me. Especially when the ribbon is sitting there doing nothing. But it's not a bad idea and I would probably prefer it to the dialog boxes popping up in different places on my model all the time. If you created a request for that, I'd vote for it 🙂

Thanks for the support, @machiel.veldkamp and @jorge-andrade!

PaulMunford
Autodesk

I agree,

To me, the in canvas tool bars have never made sense when we also have the old fashioned (but much better) modal dialogues. The old dialoges have been carefully thought out to present us with the options we need to select, in the order we need to select them.

In compacting the old dialoges into in canvas controls, this workflow is lost. Many of the options for the in canvas controls are hidden, meaning that you can only use them if you are an expert who allready knows what options they need to set. The in canvas controls are not 'discoverable' or intuitive at all!

Check out AutoCAD's Mtext command. The active component (The Mtext Box) remains in the canvas, while all the controls associated with it are in the Ribbon. The tools in the ribbon give you excellent feedback on your current settings, but you don't have to move your mouse up there to do the main task - typing text.

I'd love to see Inventor complete it's adoption of the Ribbon menu by implementing this excellent idea of DRoams 🙂

Paul

RobSinglehurst
Collaborator

I like this idea - I get the bit about more mouse travel but I think this would be a minor issue compared to the advantages this would give.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

What about this:

Rather than adding the tools to the ribbon, add them to a side panel?

Love the side panel idea? Hate the side panel idea?

In either case you might want to join the Inventor Beta testing program Smiley Wink

https://beta.autodesk.com/

danijel.radenkovic
Collaborator

Hi DRoam,

Great idea!

Thank you for providing this! Awesome!

Andrew2803
Advocate

Hi @DRoam,

You made good points by explaining its necessity. If they make it's emerging as an option as you mentioned it above, let's say go for it.

I see often something strange at majority of users: just some of them use perspective view when it is desired, but the majority rigorously stick always to orthogonal view.

This is might somewhat related in some case to the scarcity of modelling space, cause they compelled to stretch their neck like a goose making a notion what is where in that "two-and-a-half D" space... This option may let them enjoy more what they prefer, because there is no dialog in way, so the sight more comfy.

One word as hundred: Let us pick what appearance we prefer, and will see... Your idea may lift the experience significantly. Kudo has given!

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

This would be fantastic. Especially when there's two floating tool bars/boxes in the screen. Which I have never understood!!

asiu
Advocate

Yes, you have my support. This should be an option, just in case there are people in love with the dialog boxes.

This used to be the interface style for Solid-Edge V18, where you would have to go thru your selections left-to-right, then validate your selections all the way at the far right.

It makes selections more logical, it creates a sense for the command.

Thanks!

heavy69
Contributor

For me it would be good enough the Dialog box pops up on the right monitor..... How often the box appears on the left monitor when i work on the right or other way round..... 😉

josh
Advocate

I voted for this because it is a better alternative to the current solution. the fact that when using the bolted connection function the dialog re-centers after every placement is one of my biggest pet hates with Inventor. closely followed by all the other pop up dialog's. 

Personally i would Prefer @Andrew2803's idea of a pin button as i think it gives the user the most freedom and allows the user to put it on another screen altogether. But i would fully support the option to do both as i know some people would prefer them in the ribbon. 

@Curtis_Waguespack, get out of here you dirty SolidWorks lover! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy I know this is what SolidWorks does and it is a rubbish execution of this idea as it requires you to flick between the two tabs when you want to select work features. it could be a nice option though as if someone has come to inventor from SolidWorks it would allow them to set the user interface to something a little more familiar. and some people may find it a better way to work in general.

alternately Autodesk could just finish what they started with the tool tip toolbars and actually flesh them out with all the commands in the dialog boxes so you don't need them at all. i never liked them at first, but have grown to and it is frustrating that they are only partly functional or only available on some commands and others still need a dialog box.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report