Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Multiple Instances with Constraints

Insert Multiple Instances with Constraints

I doubt we're the only ones who stumbled across the neat little KWiKSert tool.  For those of you who have not found this delightful productive time saver, what it does is allows you to select anything with a curved surface and insert-constraint place it in as many places as you and click on.  For example if you have 20 holes and you want to put a fastener in each of them, you place one fastener, run KWiKSert and select the surface under the head you would insert it using, then you just click on the top edge of you holes and in 20 mouse clicks you've places and constrained 20 fasteners!  Saves a literal ton of time.  And you can constrain anything with a curved surface even a radius, anything you can use the insert command on.

Problem is they will not be updating the software beyond what it currently is and even licensing what is out there now is an issue (trust me on that).  So not guarantees it will work with updates to Inventor.  

So my (OUR) suggestion is for Autodesk to gobble this cool, super, fantastic, amazing, time-saving, clean running, stupendous function up and add it as an out of the box feature of Inventor.  PUH-lease?!?!?!?!?!? 

8 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [49597]. Thanks!

cmcconnell
Collaborator
Thanks @dan_szymanski I have used this tool since the day Kent created it! it would be really nice if it was in the product. Here is a screencast of it in action: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/bae6c179-535f-46d3-ab10-3b78ee097e46
phlyx
Collaborator
Thanks guys. We also use this tool to take a complete sub-assembly and place multiple instances of it around a top level assembly. Doesn't have to be round part in round hole. Can be corner radius or anything you can do an insert command with. KWiKSert is one of the most used tools we have, adding it to Inventor would boost Inventor productivity for everyone who uses the insert constraint.
karthur1
Mentor

Inventor users have been asking for this functionality for a very long time (just do a search). 

This is low hanging fruit that would boost productivity for anyone that inserts the same item multiple times in an assembly.  

There has to be a reason why the Inventor team will not add this functionality. Something other than the usual BS about "its on our radar".... etc. 

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

Speed up Constraining nuts,bolts,washers,screws etc - Autodesk Community 

This should also be applied to all constraint types 

wtusch
Explorer

Thank you cmcconnell for carrying on Kent Keller's great work and also allowing it to be a free tool for even more users to experience. The Autodesk community has been asking for this functionality to be built into the program for 10+ years. With Kent's passing Autodesk should honor him by finally make this part of the program.

Ben.Cornelius
Explorer

wow, I am sorry to hear of kent's passing. I remember using  KWiKSert around 15 years ago and inspired me to create my own version with more bells and whistles. I also worked with him with a client to make more additions to his  kwikview partslist. I defiantly second adding this functionality would be a good way to honor him.  

MBecker4YX2L
Community Visitor

Perfect 😀!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report