Inventor Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Inventor team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea
0 Kudos

I am newer to Inventor, but one feature that is PAINFUL to not have is a feature similar to Copy with Mates from SolidWorks.  The feature allows you to copy a component or group of components mated together, and create new instances of that component or group around an assembly by only clicking on new mate references from other assembly locations.

For instance, right now, if I want to copy a component (or group of componets) to 40 different locations that cannot be patterned, I have to drag a new copy of the component or do a copy paste of a component or group, and then Constrain them all manually be slecting component and location references.  With Copy with Mates, all I would do is pick the component or group of components, click Copy with Mates, and then as I click on the new location references it both automatically inserts the new components, but also automatically knows the same component references are being replicated.

Without this feature it takes MUCH MUCH longer to copy a lot of components than it would in SolidWorks.  I have search forums etc and there is no good solution to this problem, although it has been brought up before.  Until there is a solution, I'll just have to waste a ton of time in many of my assemblies when getting all of the components in place.

0 Kudos

Vault check out children

by Contributor Cadkunde.nl on ‎03-22-2017 05:43 AM

In the check out settings of inventor I have the option include children OFF

But when I select a sub assembly and check out, the menu displays all children to check out.

I need to cancel, and do again, the 2nd time the children are not included.

I have to do this every time i wish to check out a sub assembly

Inventor 2017 lastest version, windows 10.

Can this be adressed in 2018?

Add spell check to drawings

by Enthusiast ronald_plesh on ‎03-22-2017 04:25 AM

Since up-voting the other spell check ideas for what seems to be at least 5 years and at least as many versions did not seem to make anyone at AutoDesk notice, I figured I would put another request in.  I saw one idea that had spell check in it that was marked as implemented.  Yet it is not.

0 Kudos

Consistent annotation work flow

by Enthusiast ronald_plesh on ‎03-22-2017 04:17 AM

When putting a hole annotation, you select the hole then LMB at the note location and viola, the annotation is in place

When putting a leader text annotation, BOM balloon, or weld symbol, you LMB the edge to attach it to then LMB to locate it then RMB to accept it.

The Hole annotation requires the least effort and should be the standard.

You could add functionality to add jogs and additional leaders as necessary.  

0 Kudos

Tired of these trash folders, all project directories littered with these OldVersions folders.
Why do I need them every day to clean hands? It's crazy. Should be given a choice to opt out of creating these folders.
Make a checkbox in the system settings: if anyone needs OldVersions folder, leave the default, and who don't need these trash folders - shut down that they no longer bothered.

App Options > File tab > Templates, Design Data, Content Center fields. These each will resolve to my custom location "C:\Users\Public\COMPANY\2016\Inventor\......" but they do not recognize the %PUBLIC% system variable. So I can not type "%PUBLIC%\COMPANY\2016\Inventor\......" into the field. The should resolve to all Windows System Variables.

Directly edit path

by Enthusiast ederson.balbinot on ‎03-21-2017 03:51 AM

Hi Autodesk!

When using features with path, create a command to edit directly the path, may be in the context menu in right click of the mouse.

This is to not open the feature, select the sketch and edit sketch how is today...

See the picture.

Thanks!

edit path.png

0 Kudos

Joint on same shape not only on face or point

by Contributor B.B.07 on ‎03-21-2017 02:02 AM - last edited on ‎03-21-2017 02:27 AM |

When creating sheetmetal we use threated rivets to mount the panels together to create the complete bodywork of our machines.

It's a shame that the joint function is not applicable on shapes that are identical like the example below.  It's only good for round holes and points but thats not the case here.

You can also use rectangular/circular pattern to place them if the build-up  allows this but in a lot of cases other component make this not possible and the position is therefore not always perfectly symmetrical.

With a joint this could be done with a few easy clicks now it has to be done with at least 2 constrains per rivet.   Multiply this wit a couple of hundred rivets in your bodywork and you lose a lot of time and money.

Gestellprofile sollten sich als Einzelteil in einer Zeichnung genauso verhalten wie alle anderen IPTs.

Bei den Gestellprofilen kann man keine Skizzen abrufen und auch sonst nicht auf das Modell zugreifen.

Aufgefallen ist es daran, dass man im Browser nichts aufklappen kann (gelber Kasten). Im Gegensatz zu der darunter eingefügten IAM.

large.jpg

Flat Pattern changes Oriantation

by Advocate daniel.balogh on ‎03-20-2017 08:24 AM - last edited on ‎03-20-2017 08:26 AM |

Flat Pattern seems to change the orientation by Model change. If it is used in a drawing, an the Flatpattern orientation is not explicitly defined, the Drawing view will be rotated too. This can impact the readability of the drawing...

May be this is more a bug report, than an idea....

BR,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Ruler

by Advocate rashpal on ‎03-20-2017 05:38 AM

I have found myself spending hours drawing 'To-scale' rulers on many parts in the past. It can take hours as a small mistake can sometimes mean going back and starting again. It would be useful if Autodesk could implement a ruler command on the taskbar where you can change the scale CM's or MM's. Or even have an add-in, as I am unable to find one. Unless anyone else can show me one.

It would be good to have this in the next Inventor version, please support if you agree!

0 Kudos

Navisworks Suite Workflow

by Advocate brotherkennyh on ‎03-20-2017 02:08 AM

I think it would be good to have a Navisworks suite workflow to export Inventor files to Navisworks.

Currently if we import Inventor models we have to go into the Navisworks options and set the project file so Navisworks can find all the related components. Still it often cannot find library files unless the model has been pre packaged.

If we had a suite workflow, Inventor could pass the information straight to Navisworks to save the user having to package the files and update the Navisworks options. Both these products come with Product Design Suite, why it is not straightforward to move files between the 2?

Adding Drill sizes to the Hole Command

by New Member Gunyah on ‎03-19-2017 03:59 PM

Add a selection box to the hole command that allows the selection of a specific hole size based on a drill size.

Drill sets are available in fraction, number & letter and metric.  It is common practice to specify on a drawing the drill size to use for a particular hole.

When dimensioning an imperial drawing with a hole that is 0.1575" the practice is to specify a 4mm drill.  This makes life much easier for the person interpreting the drawing.

Add functionality to Inventor Projects to exclude single folder levels or whole folder structures from search paths. 

-Brian

It's very frustrating when Inventor doesn't accept your parameter name, and then the parameter you started creating disappears and you have to start all over again.

How about, instead of failing to create the parameter because there are spaces in the parameter name, Inventor automatically replaces the spaces in your parameter name with Underscores '_' for you instead?

Paul

Other ideas on improving the parameters manager:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/parameters-dialog-overhaul/idi-p/4774867

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/overhaul-the-parameter-interface-access/idi-p/3686266?...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/better-manage-skeletal-models-with-parameter-sketch-fi...

Showcase... what a great product. An e-mail notification came to my inbox this morning

telling of its demise within the Autodesk family of products. Condolences to all concerned.

Perhaps Showcase or an abbreviated version could be injected into the Inventor platform.

If not product wide, in a "Galaxy Class" : ) Package.

Thanks !  

0 Kudos

Hello,

when importing .jt files it is not possible to set up a folder structure. So every sub-assembly, every component etc. will be all saved in the same folder.

For small Imports there is a workaround but the bigger the assembly gets, the bigger gets the work for cleaning up the folder.

Not every single component that is in the main assembly has to get an invidividual file path. But if the sub-assemblies and their components could get one this will save a lot of time.

16-03-_2017_13-07-22.jpg

Like in the picture above so that i can select a file path for the sub-assemblies.

I would like to be able to print to specified/chosen corners of a selected window

like you can do in autocad.

In my 7 years of using Inventor, I have always at some time needed to do that,

but have never been able to.

Inventor only prints the window showing on the screen,

or has the "automatic" tiling enabled function which doesn't seem to do exactly what you sometimes need,

and can't be set.

See discussions about this, screenshots,  as well as some-one else who would like to do the same at

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/print-window-at-specified-corners/td-p/6944202

Michael Kovacik
AutoCAD 2d & 3d (20yrs) & Inventor (7yrs) Manufacturing (30yrs) Draughtsman
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2017
Johannesburg, South Africa

Flush constrain on multiple items

by Contributor B.B.07 on ‎03-16-2017 02:17 AM - last edited on ‎03-16-2017 02:19 AM |

Hello,

In always wondered why the Flush constrain could not be applied on more than 2 items at the same time.  

For instance on the picture in attachment I have multiple silincingfoams that have to be positioned on the same panel.

I always need to constrain them 2 by to instead of selecting them all at once and then apply.

Color setting of the plane.

by Participant akutagan on ‎03-16-2017 01:30 AM

Color setting of the plane is not available.

Following color setting would be needed for increasing the user accessibility.
● front color
● back color
● transparency

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube