Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Feature - Symmetric and Asymmetric Hole Depth Options

Hole Feature - Symmetric and Asymmetric Hole Depth Options

Whenever I add an angled hole using the On Point placement option, it always leaves a small wedge of material left over at the top of the hole.  So, I have to go and create a second hole with the same options, except I have to "flip" the direction to cut out that small wedge.  I end up creating two hole features to get one hole the way I want it.  Why not eliminate the "flip" button and add the same direction buttons that we use in the extrude feature?  The options "Direction 1", "Direction 2", "Symmetric" and "Asymmetric".

Hole Feature.JPG

33 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

I agree that this should be improved, there are workarounds but they do not work in every case and are not discoverable to new users or users who only find the need to do this once in a while.

Here are some links that describe some of the known workarounds for this issue:

Related Links:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/07/creating-angled-holes-in-inventor.html

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Extruding-or-making-holes-with-angles/m-p/3034486

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about just a checkbox "Remove backwards" (or something) that removes until the end of the part? I don't see many situations where there's a need for a hole backwards, so having the four different options seems slightly overkill

mrattray
Advisor

Why not just change the behaviour to always remove material on the backside? Is there any situation where you're going to want to leave the "nub".

michael_marx
Advocate

Yes there are Situations where you want this peace! In Mold you have somthing special for injection point which look like this.

mrattray
Advisor

I'm not familiar with the details of designing injection molds. Can you elaborate?

khosking
Enthusiast

There are some workflows in Inventor that have all sketch data based on a central plane. Due to limitations of the hole feature, users have the inability to create a hole from a mid-plane.

I too would love to see the Inventor hole feature updated with this functionality, and so would many of my clients.

dan_inv09
Advisor

And spotface.

If I've got a fillet on a flange and I'm putting a bolt through it, I want a spotface that knocks out the bit of the fillet that's in the way (without a depth - it doesn't have to cut into the flat part).

[I got so excited when I saw they added spotface to the hole feature, then I saw what they actually did - I haven't read the "What's New" for any release since.]

karthur1
Mentor

To remove the small wedge of material you are talking about, just use the "Delete Face" command with the heal option checked.

MichaelFarrow
Contributor

With extrusions, it is common practice to extrude outwards from a centre plane, in both directions.  This is great, especially now that the opposite sides do not have to be symmetric.

Unfortunatly however, neither of these options is available for the 'hole' tool.  You can only choose to go one or other direction from the original sketch.  I notice this particularly when working with tubes.  When drilling cross holes through tubes, the easiest thing for me would be to use the centre planes (halfway through the tube), and go both directions.  However, I am unable to do this, so I have to either continually place additional planes for the holes, or share the centre plane sketch, and do two hole operations in different directions.

It would be much more useful if the options for 'Symmetric about Centre Plane' and 'Assymetric about Plane' were added to the hole tool.

Tags (6)
jtylerbc
Mentor

Good idea, but a version of this idea has already been posted and has a large number of votes.  If you vote for this one, please also vote for the older idea post so we don't split up the support.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/hole-feature-symmetric-and-asymmetric-hole-depth-...

MichaelFarrow
Contributor

Sorry, didn't see that one.  But yes, they're exactly the same, so please vote for the other one, as it already has a good following.

Many thanks,  Mike.

JLeeSaxon
Enthusiast

I so desperately want Symmetric and Assymetric holes.

miechh
Collaborator

Or an option like in the Extrude-command --> "Minimum solution".

Heathos88
Enthusiast

bloody brilliant!

drawings
Advocate

I  second koshing. Often the sketch is on the center plane in the middle of the part. I like to reuse planes a lot. Like autocad I can reference other geometry easier.

It forces me to either make a new sketch plane or put in back to back holes. Being able to chose from as well as to is another option that would be useful (also in other extrusions).

stuartmp
Advocate

I agree, I so desperately want Symmetric and Assymetric holes.

Any hole that you create from a mid plane needed this feature, please, please add it.

drawings
Advocate

When putting a hole thru a round or curved part, the center plane is the easiest to use. The hole then needs to go both ways. This would simplify modeling of cross drilled holes in shafts and tubes.

iamerm
Collaborator

I know I'm repeating what others have said, but I would also love this feature - primarily for adding thru holes to a round object (such as a pipe) from a sketch drawn on the object's mid plane.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-58349 & US-117739]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello,

Two issues are discussed in detail within this IdeaStation post:

1. Enhancing the hole feature to include a symmetric and asymmetric hole type
  2. Eliminate resultant fragment when a hole is created on a face via a “on point” placement, and is not planar parallel to the face

The Inventor team is investigating possible solutions for each and would like some additional feedback from you specifically around item #1.

Assumption #1:  A symmetric or asymmetric hole type would primarily benefit usages where they are applied to symmetric components.

Examples:

• An “I-Beam” where a hole applied to an inside face would penetrate both the top & bottom face
  • A “Pipe” where a hole applied perpendicular to the center axis would penetrate both the sides of the tube

Question 1 - Can anyone provide additional benefits, or use cases that are not satisfied by existing hole creation methodologies?  Or simply confirm our assumption.

Assumption #2: Symmetric or asymmetric hole types would be restricted to drilled types with simple or clearance hole designations only.  Counterbores, spotface and counter sink would not be supported as the current hole architecture only supports a single entry point.  The work around for this workflow need would be to simply create two separate holes.

Question 2 – Does anyone have a concern with this solution proposal?

Assumption #3: Threads would be applied to a single direction only.  A single hole (set to symmetric or asymmetric) cannot support varying thread designations (LH, RH for example).

Question 3 – Is there any concern with this solution proposal?

I wanted to send this as an explicit request to those who have shown interest and commented on this thread (so please forgive the spam Smiley Wink ).

@EScales, @Curtis_Waguespack, @Anonymous, @mrattray, @michael_marx, @khosking, @dan_inv09, @karthur1, @JLeeSaxon, @miechh,

@Heathos88, @Allplay-Community@stuartmp, @iamerm

If you have the interest & time, please weigh in on this as your feedback & input is invaluable to us.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report