Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature/sketch Numbers Reset Ability

Feature/sketch Numbers Reset Ability

Searching through the forums there are a ton of references to an on going issue when templates are created these feature numbers not reseting themselves.  I feel either place a command/function that allows users to reset these numbers in the templates or fix it so this is not an issue.

This is the latest thread on the topic.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Resetting-first-Sketch-to-Sketch1-in-Template/m-p/43...

37 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

WHY IS THIS STILL NOT ADDRESSED? JUST BECASUE MILLIONS OF PEOIPLE DONT GET ON HERE TO COMMENT, DOES NOT MEAN THEY DONT CARE.

Telson.HADDEN4HGWS
Contributor

It has 117 votes, is likely low hanging fruit, has been accepted and then un-accepted. Please just do it.

to the execs: New features don't bring new customers, QoL improvements keep existing customers. Existing customers bring new customers.

lroberts8VWSJ
Contributor

When testing how section views looked in the new template, I made a section view. I didn't realize this bug existed, and now all the drawings from our master template start with section view B instead of A. Please provide a way to reset this, even if it's just a field for "next number" effectively (which you're obviously storing somewhere) that we can use the API to create a solution ourselves, or just know to change at the beginning of the drawing process.

chakrapani_pandey
Participant

I have been trying to change the view identifier to A:A for a section view but the inventor is not allowing me to do the same.

can anyone explain whether this has been implemented because this has been not been issued. 

Barry1Lau
Advocate
Right click Section View in the browser
Select Edit View
Change letter in View Identifier
Click OK

Thanks,

Barry Hazel
Tool Designer

raphael.widmann5DUKP
Participant

Back to the roots: we are on Version 2023.4.2 now and we still need the oportunity to reset the sketch/diameter/feature counters...

Please rate this single post 156 times for all our constructions-workstations in our company, so please implement this!

Thanks a lot!

Barry1Lau
Advocate
It must be more difficult to do than expected. The latest version of Solidworks doesn't have this capability either.
Bellmer-CAD-Admin
Contributor

accepted 2016, still not possible... we really need to reset counter at least in empty templates...

yago.silvaEMJDV
Explorer

2024 RESOLVED?

lroberts8VWSJ
Contributor

Perhaps a solution could be, instead of manually setting to a specific thing which could in fact cause some problems and might be part of what's keeping this from being implemented, you could instead have a function that detects what view label letters are already used, and sets the "next view" to the letter after the last. That way, if it's an empty template, you'd be reset to A (like most of us want). If it's not empty, and perhaps has A, B, D, and F, it would simply be G. After Z, you would just go to AA, AB, etc. You could help enforce best practices as well, like skipping letters I and O. 

Barry1Lau
Advocate
I don't know, I'm still on 2023.
Barry1Lau
Advocate
In the end, renumbering the sketches and hole numbers in the browser is probably immaterial. It's kind of a vanity thing in case someone makes changes in the future, to see that you didn't create the model correctly from the beginning.
It seems like it should be fairly easy to refresh the browser and have the sketches and hole numbers update to reflect the order of the features as they appear in the browser. I'm not a coder so maybe it's more difficult than I anticipated.
lroberts8VWSJ
Contributor
Actually it's not a vanity thing, nor is it a product of modelling incorrectly in the first place. If a person sees view C, they are more likely than not to start looking for where views A and B went, particularly if it's a newly released drawing without revisions. The original sequencing would potentially be the result, such as with my first post, of simply testing a template style, or of repurposing and old project as a new project's starting point. These are perfectly valid things to do and not a "mistake" at all.
Bellmer-CAD-Admin
Contributor

@Barry1Lau

Please consider, that we are originally talking about template files - files that may have been in use for a long time and faced a lot a revisions and also tests (as LRoberts mentioned)... (No need for the users to reset this counters!)
We have pushed this thread because of the demand of our USers, that where confused when starting with our template ipt, making the first sketch and see its name: "Skecht5"... "What? I was making the my firstsketch- why is this sketch no. 5?"
Its just about giving the Users a clear, fine and consistent inital situation.

Of course technically its absolutly irrelevant, having the name-label of the first sketch with a 5 or a 1 as Suffix... and a Robot would say: "Hey Bro, chill out, its just a label with a iterated number at the end..." But humans are working with this 😉

Barry1Lau
Advocate
I think that we are talking about different things.
The simplest way to get the first sketch number at the start is to create a template with no sketch in the browser. This way the first sketch in the browser is always 1. If for some reason there is already a sketch listed in the browser, delete it and label the new sketch 1 and the rest will follow in order. I also have the template set up so that Z-axis is up, X-axis goes to the right and Y-axis goes back (normal isometric view). Interestingly this appears to be impossible in Solid Works.
Setting the first detail or section view in and IDW file to A or A-A if you delete a previous view is not a problem. It's easy to fix.
My issue and question is only in the browser after features are moved in it. Solid Works has the same problem so maybe the "issue" is a waste of time.
MDT also worked the same but at least it had the model and drawing in the same file rather than needing a model file IPT and a drawing file IDW. I would still be using MDT if it hadn't be killed.
Bellmer-CAD-Admin
Contributor

Of course you will have that Sketch-Counter resetted to 1 if you are creating a new template ...

BUT it's about avoiding to create a complete new template file! (That's why a descriped the fact, that a template file could be inherit a lot of things due the fact it is yoused for many years and has faced a lot of revisions and tests etc.)

All we need is a little function, accesing to that Counter-Variable that stores the Suffix-Value (number) for Sketch-Name-Labels and resets it to "0" or null or maybe "1" - and if you need for safty: just resetting if there is no sketch in the file and exit if there is a sketch in the file (and if a sketch is active, then anyway of course).

I cant iamgine that this is so hard to implement...

Barry1Lau
Advocate
I think that we are talking about different things.
The simplest way to get the first sketch number at the start is to create a template with no sketch in the browser. This way the first sketch in the browser is always 1. If for some reason there is already a sketch listed in the browser, delete it and label the new sketch 1 and the rest will follow in order. I also have the template set up so that Z-axis is up, X-axis goes to the right and Y-axis goes back (normal isometric view). Interestingly this appears to be impossible in Solid Works.
Setting the first detail or section view in and IDW file to A or A-A if you delete a previous view is not a problem. It's easy to fix.
My issue and question is only in the browser after features are moved in it. Solid Works has the same problem so maybe the "issue" is a waste of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report