Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend project file settings

Extend project file settings

Dear all,

At the moment in the project file some paths like for templates or design data can be set.

It would be nice to have the possibility also to set up some other paths like for the symbol library path or the iFeature root path which are only able to change on the client directly and not globally at the moment.

Additionally it would be nice also to set which access option should be used for Content Center (Inventor Desktop Content or Autodesk Vault Server). The libraries can already be set in project file.

May this is also an idea for others. Thank you, BR

grafik.pnggrafik.pnggrafik.png

16 Comments
nico.de-neef
Contributor

I Would like to configure the 'Sketch Symbol Library Folder' in the project file instead of application aptions.

Cfr. Templates, Design data and Content Center Files.

Also for textures and the default VBA project, I would suggest the same behavior.

TONELLAL
Collaborator

Generally speaking, configure all the "Files" tab options in the project file.

woodstylee3
Advocate

Move the following settings from Application Options to the project file..

Sketched Symbol Library Folder

Reason is we use different project files for different client template/design data paths, and need different sketched symbols for different clients also.

Tags (2)
bjoho
Participant

Please make it possible to add the search path to Sketch Symbols Library Folder to the project file.

Then it's easier to switch between different customer library settings.

Cadkunde.nl
Collaborator

project file 2.0.png

Copy model iproperties is now set in the drawing template.

This does not affect old drawings.

If you copy an old project, you want the new settings, and that is impossible now.

These settings are part of your working procedure, not document or user specific, and should be set universally for all documents

I suggest adding them to the project file

Same goes for Sketch symbol library. You can set up all paths in project file, except sketch library and ilogic locations.

I always have to set them up manually for users. I know you can import standard settings, but I don't  want to override user preferences such as colors.

Maybe I would even go so far as requesting 'Project Settings' that can overrule Application and Document settings.

Much like settings locations in project file overrules the locations in application options.

woodstylee3
Advocate
I agree, if not in the project file, can we have a new xml in the design data folder to store these settings in, at least that way, we can use the project files to steer the load path.

##- Please type your reply above this line
Marco.Takx
Mentor

Like the idea. Don't forget the HSM settings like my idea.

Project file settings for HSM

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see option for "Frequently Used Folders" under Project for folders we access often. Currently, you can do this only for sub-folders. The reason for this is that we have purchased components separated in folders per supplier names and it is cumbersome to constantly navigate through supplier folders. This way, you can set commonly used folders.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed this would be great for any freelancer or company working with multiple standards & libraries

bjoho
Participant

It would also be great to have some more Vault Options. Like Numberering schemes and workflows. 

petr_vonasek
Contributor

I prefere having both options:

1. Keep all settings either in Aplication options = for general purposes (default settings in Project), for the projects based on my company's standards
  2. Add  all settings also to Project dialogue = for the specific projects based on our customer's standards

About 50% of our work are our company internal projects. For all those used "Projects.ipj" is better to use default settings in Project, which adopts the general Aplication options settings.

About 50% of our work are projects for external companies . For those customer specific  "Projects.ipj" is better (the must) to  set all paths in the Project independently on Aplication options settings.

So having the ability to set paths in both places covers all work scenarios.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There should be also an option to bring list of frequently used folders, such as vendors and company standard components. I am cheating this by placing folders into "workgroup search path".

saainsworth
Advocate

iLogic external rules path is currently in its own separate options command.  I would suggest that it get incorporated into applications options AND in the project file for administrative control.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [35033]. Thanks!

andrewdroth
Advisor

I have to say it's pretty confusing to sort out which 'design data' folder these things need to point to. 

I agree with everyone here, this should be implemented. 

rhenstenburg
Advocate

For my company workflow, I am not concerned with setting the Content Center (Vault) access option (as discussed by @ErhardKlamminger).  However, I am 100% in agreement regarding his suggestion for setting the Sketch Symbol Library folder and the iFeature folders in the Project file.  Currently I have created a custom XML which I send to each new user.  Then I must tell them how to read it in.

I am also 100% behind setting the iLogic rules folder in the Project, as suggested by @Cadkunde.nl.

Musing on the iLogic Rules folder, I find its setting awkward from a few aspects:

1) If using XML files (as I have done), a separate XML is required which then must be imported from the iLogic Configuration dialog.  To do this, I have to additionally explain to the user that, by default, the iLogic Configuration button is in the expanded Options panel.  If this folder setting could included with the Application Options XML file, I could do all settings with a single XML.  Easier for me, easier for the user.  Still better to control from the Project file though!

2) I tried using the %RELEASE% variable in my XML for setting the iLogic rules location.  In my initial test, the variable translated to its value (different from the path setting on the Application Options>File tab).  This means that when we upgrade, this setting would have to be reset on each installation.  Of course, the option is to have my rules stored in an undated folder but I prefer to keep my rules and forms together (see #3).

3) Out of the box, Inventor stores iLogic Forms in the Design Data folder structure (which is controlled by the Project file).  Curious that this is NOT the same for the rules.  This would solve #2 and obviate #1.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report