Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differentiate Inventor and AutoCAD DWG files on Open

Differentiate Inventor and AutoCAD DWG files on Open

The AutoCAD DWG Launcher's capability should be expanded to included identification of Inventor DWG filetypes as well as the AutoCAD verticals.

Currently Windows nor Vault is able to distinguish whether a .dwg file should be opened in Inventor or a vertical of AutoCAD. Windows uses the "Default Program" to open all .dwg files. Usually this has been set as the AutoCAD DWG Launcher. Then when trying to open an Inventor DWG from Vault, it will be opened in AutoCAD. This behavior breaks workflows and prevents companies from smoothly adopting the Inventor DWG file format.

One slightly valid suggestion is that files should always be opened from within the intended program to prevent problems with project files, etc. While this is valid, many companies using Vault only have one project file. Opening from the Vault client can be very convenient.

Alternatively, I'd suggest Autodesk provides identical functionality in either IDW or DWG so there are no compromises in choosing one format over the other for their Inventor drawings.

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many votes Autodesk require before resolving this issue?

netadmin
Participant

Really need this! I guess like a lot of people, we use AutoCAD and Inventor and it would be very useful to have Vault know which app to open a dwg with. 

alchurchill
Explorer

@Anonymous 

I think this is now active...at least it works for me 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report