Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Parameter Groups

Custom Parameter Groups

The ability to create custom parameter groups is already available thru the API.  It would be great if it was standard functionality in the parameter window.  As you can see by the attached screenshot, Inventor already has some of the tools available to manage these groups.  Once I created the groups thru the API, standard Inventor allow you to remove the group.  Almost like the feature was started but never complete.

This helps tremendously when making parametric assemblies as well as skeletal modeling and using iLogic.  A loop can be used to send all of the parameters of a specified group to a specific part without having to write the sending 1 parameter at a time.

4 Comments
daniel.balogh
Advocate

I also feel, this is a never fulfilled feature.... Currently to add a parameter to the custom group, you first have to add it to the one of the "standard" groups... So you will see the parameter twice (at least). OK, this might be fine for some scenarios, where you'd need several "filtering aspects" which may intersect... 

But I needed an option to categorize my parameters, where a parameter belongs to one category (group) only! this would make sense....

Sure, parametric is built on those 3 Types of parameter, each may have slightly different meaning/logic to Inventor, but a per Group exclusive "show"-Property, or an enumerable "ShowInGroups"  on the paramter Object could solve the issue  in API without breaking the base logic beneath... Or in GUI manner for the Parameter Dialog you could use Drag&Drop (like Ctrl+Drag = Copy to group, Drag=Move to Group, etc...)

BR,

Daniel

DRoam
Mentor

Strongly agree with Daniel's comment that parameters shouldn't be duplicated in their original built-in group (unless, for some reason, we want them to).

hamed_nemati
Explorer

@Koeppel2 

Hi, 

How did you do it? can you help me to do this same as you?

Koeppel2
Advocate

The Inventor API has an example of how to do this.  I just used that and developed a small interface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report