Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent annotation work flow

Consistent annotation work flow

When putting a hole annotation, you select the hole then LMB at the note location and viola, the annotation is in place

When putting a leader text annotation, BOM balloon, or weld symbol, you LMB the edge to attach it to then LMB to locate it then RMB to accept it.

The Hole annotation requires the least effort and should be the standard.

You could add functionality to add jogs and additional leaders as necessary.  

7 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

I disagree slightly.  The reason for the inconsistency is the fact that vertex/leader addition is unavailable for hole notes.  Would be nice to have these things work the same, but in my opinion it's better to fix this by adding the missing functionality to the hole note, rather than taking it away (or making it more difficult to access) on everything else.

ronald_plesh
Collaborator

I am still pretty new to Inventor, but are you saying that we cannot add vertex or jog points to a hole annotation?  What if I need one?  I guess that is another idea soon to be entered.

I think all annotations should have vertex/leader editing capabilities, I just think the standard application should be the least work.  A huge portion of annotations I put down require no vertex or additional leaders (Is that normal?) so it just feels like extra work.  But then I do a hole annotation and it is smooth sailing.

Perhaps the idea should be to make all leaders editable the same with the ability to choose a default application.

DRoam
Mentor

@ronald_plesh, you can already enable this workflow for leaders.

After starting the leader command, right click and enable "Single Segment Leader". From now on, your leaders will be placed after the first click to set the location.

ronald_plesh
Collaborator

DRoam wins today!  Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

DRoam
Mentor

No problem! Glad it helped.

Also, I agree about needing consistent add vertex/leader for hole note and other leader-type annotations. And fortunately, there are already a couple of ideas with a good deal of support that you can add your vote to:

jtylerbc
Mentor

@ronald_plesh, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  You can add vertices and additional leaders on most types of leader notes, but hole notes are an exception where the functionality doesn't exist.  Regardless of which leader method you personally prefer, that is the reason you saw their behavior as being different.

My preference for a fix to this would be to add that vertex/leader functionality into the hole notes, including the "Single Segment Leader" option.

PaulMunford
Autodesk
You can also double click when you are ready to place the note/annotation/balloon...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report