Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Drawings - Ability to Add Vertex/Leader to Hole Note

Inventor Drawings - Ability to Add Vertex/Leader to Hole Note

Ability to have multiple leaders on hole notes.  Ability to have multiple verticies per leader on hole notes.

Similar idea for weld notes.

Similar idea for radial dimensions.

Proposed Hole Note Feature.jpg

19 Comments
andrew_lehman
Contributor

I should've included this with the original post.  Example of functionality below.

Example of functionality.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Idea, Andrew. This is one I've wanted myself several times!

stuartmp
Advocate

Good Idea, There would just need to be some functionality to handle the cases when one of the holes in the mulit leader hole changes size.

andrew_lehman
Contributor

It could be handled the same way text leaders are currently handled.  Example for a deleted hole below.

Delete leader.jpg

morrisangelo
Advocate

It would be very useful and time-saving to have a right-click "Add Vertex/Leader" option for all leader tools (Hole and Thread, Radius/Dia dimension, etc) just like the one available when using the Leader Text tool.  Make it a universal right-click option for any leader condition.

SBix26
Mentor

I agree, but... what should Inventor do when you add a vertex to another feature that doesn't match the original?  

For instance, you have a radius dimension pointing to a 5mm fillet, and you add a leader that points to a 6mm fillet-- should Inventor allow that or not?  What if you add a leader to another 5mm fillet, but later on you change one of them-- should Inventor let it go, or break your dimension?  This gets especially complicated with hole notes where there are so many parameters involved.  I voted for this idea, but it needs some careful thinking as to how it would work.  

My personal opinion is that Inventor should not allow multiple leaders to non-matching features, and that changing the feature of one of an existing "leader set" would make that leader (or the whole dimension/note) "sick".

Sam B

morrisangelo
Advocate

Sam,

Agreed on the careful implementation of leaders being necessary.  A designer/engineer would have to have some responsibility when dimensioning and calling out details like these and I wouldn't expect Inventor to behave any differently than what the leader text function allows.  I wouldn't expect Inventor to warn me of different radii, but that would be a very nice feature.  As a thorough designer, that's on me IMO.

If a radius changes, I would also expect to see the dimension or leader become "sick" to alert you of the disconnected leader, much like what many dimensions do when a part changes.

Harvey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, great - for me too  Smiley Happy

tbmeyers
Explorer

Sorry it's an old thread, but still relevant. Andrew, that's a very clearly illustrated example of exactly what I wish I could do right now. I run into a lot of components where I have a few repeated holes - enough I don't what a new callout for each, but where a hole chart feels cumbersome and unnecessary.... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We would save a lot of time by having this
As well it would be very neat for production if you have multiple treads.
For example 4 holes 2 types of thread it becomes very hard to see for production what is what

Mathias

JamesSlaven8282
Enthusiast

Any new information on "Add Vertex/Leader" to hole & thread annotations? This is still a feature that would be very useful.

James 

joakim.wolgers
Participant

Why is this still not fixed! This have been a standard feature in many other CAD systems for a long time.

Fix it, please!

mmiller
Contributor

This would be an extremely useful addition! I also agree with @SBix26 comment.

I propose that for dimensions that generate automated text, the function to add a vertex to the leader be added, and leave out the multiple leaders.

If mutiple leaders were added, the program would need to prompt you that you were connecting leaders to objects with differing properties or something like that.

Let's try to get this idea pushed into development!

Thanks all.

JamesSlaven8282
Enthusiast

Agree with @mmiller that the ability to adds a vertex (even if not a leader) to dimension callouts would be a meaningful improvement.

Adding multiple dimension leaders to objects that meet criteria would certainly allow users to make better/cleaner Inventor drawings but perhaps the complexities make this functionality to difficult to develop.

James

mmiller
Contributor
Yes! We need people to vote this up so we can get it looked at by Autodesk.
Thanks
mmiller
Contributor

ALL,

Please go to this idea and vote for it so we can gather support all in one place in order to get vertex functionality integrated for all annotation leaders.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/add-vertex-leader-option-for-all-leader-functions/idc-...

Thanks!

andrew_lehman
Contributor

All,

Please go to the idea linked below and vote for it so we can show more support for this idea.  Thanks!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/inventor-drawings-ability-to-add-vertex-leader-to-hole...

SER4
Collaborator
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [INVGEN-75320]. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report