Did you mean: 

2 words - SPELL CHECK

2 words - SPELL CHECK

need I say more?

77 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [407]. Splitting this out as a separate Idea for Spell Checker since the other Idea relates to additional update requests to Text. Thanks! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Update-Inventor-Drawing-Text-Editor/idi-p/3685260

jyager
Collaborator

It's almost 2015. Pretty soon we're going to be living in space stations....and I'm sitting here using the last software package on earth that doesn't spellcheck.

cheator
Explorer

Inventor needs a spell check function jst like AutoCAD to save on critical mistakes and liability

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello jyager,

I am setting this idea as duplicate of the following Idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/2-words-spell-check/idi-p/5023978

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello cheator,
I am setting this idea as duplicate of the following Idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation​/2-words-spell-check/idi-p/5023978

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

I have yet to find any AutoDesk software that has this simple feature (With the exception of the forums).  

jasonrecords
Advocate

AutoCAD has spell check.

jasonrecords
Advocate

Inventor and the other Autodesk software needs it though!!!!!

How hard can it be?

jyager
Collaborator

AutoCAD has had it for like 20 years. I'm at a loss why this is an open issue.

pdecker
Advocate

Should be in Vault also

ThatRusty
Participant

Inventor Professional 2017 still no live spell check, ridiculous. 

andrewdroth
Advisor

This Idea was accepted in 2014, what does that mean for the software?

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

Yes Autodesk software has it but it is not available with-in a text box.  Why do I have to go to another command to check spelling?  Should this not be easy to add to free text, single line text or a text box.  Just as I am typing this it is checking the spelling of my words and flags me to any unusual words or misspellings.  Surely Autodesk can add and develop spell check for these with-in the command and allow users to set common words that are not misspelled.  Just my thoughts and suggestion.

msklein
Collaborator

Again you are asking about improvements for Iv  I've been asking for a spell checker that chacks the whole drawing since version 3. And I'm still waiting for it, that should also include all the iproperties and any tables created. As I've stated for almost 17 years the first mogul in any cad program should have been the spell checker. While I'm at it should also cover the Vault also. I seem to remember that this was accepted as a request a ways back, what was it 2013 or so and still no spell checker. How long do we have to wait, I also seem to remember talking to the guys from Oregon when I still worked for Applied Materials and asked the same thing back then when they visited the Users Group.

jyager
Collaborator

Is this the only software/app left in all of tech that's missing spellcheck? I'm at a loss how this never gets addressed and is constantly swept under the rug.

msklein
Collaborator

The only business field that I can think of with worse spellers than engineering would be what we call the news business (reporters), if you can call them that anymore.

ronald_plesh
Collaborator

Since up-voting the other spell check ideas for what seems to be at least 5 years and at least as many versions did not seem to make anyone at AutoDesk notice, I figured I would put another request in.  I saw one idea that had spell check in it that was marked as implemented.  Yet it is not.

Tags (1)
dgorsman
Consultant

All this is going to is split votes and make some more admin work to merge the two ideas.

Try not to confuse "They're not listening" with "Not implemented yet".  The dev team doesn't publicly explain everything that's on their plate.  They *do* pay attention to Ideas posted here, and generally more so for the ones with more votes.  Add a vote to the existing Idea and relevant comments if desired.

ronald_plesh
Collaborator

I agree it is a risk, but based on what I can dig up, the standard method is not working.  I have voted on every add spell check idea and so have a lot of other people.  350 votes for this topic already.

The idea "Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor" which was created on 11/2/2012 and is listed as "IMPLEMENTED" includes the idea for spell check.  193 votes.  No spell check.

The idea "2 words - SPELL CHECK" was ACCEPTED on or about 6/9/2014.  110 votes.  No spell check.

The idea "Spell check in Text boxes" was created on 1/6/2016 and is GATHERING SUPPORT. 47 votes.  No spell check.

I get that the dev team cannot address every issue.  However, I see enough comments from enough AutoDesk employees that they are around and watching (which I have to say is awesome).  Can they at least explain why one idea was changed to implemented yet was not and another idea that was accepted almost three years ago has not been implemented?

There is a lot to learn in Inventor and I am set in my Solidworks and Pro/E ways.  However, I can get past any workflow change.  Finding out  that spell check is not available is truly baffling and to be honest, had I known before I made the call to switch to Inventor, I may not have.

This is like getting a brand new car and finding out after the fact that a windshield is not even an option.  Sure, you can drive around in it but you are going to get mud in your eye once in a while.  What makes it worse is that EVERY other make and model of car has a windshield - even free cars!

I was going to create a new idea every day, but I figured that would just get me banned.  I am just going to try and keep this idea as active as I can.

jyager
Collaborator

Count me in. They're not listening and not implemented are the same thing when it's dragged out this long.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report