Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe - old segments remain

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
502 Views, 6 Replies

Tube and Pipe - old segments remain

Hi all,

I am having an issue where after changing a route and updating, some segments of the old routes remain. below is an example. I've ensured that the route no longer has sketch references to the old segments but it randomly chooses which route segments to keep if any. sometimes it's none, sometimes it's some, others, almost all of the old route will remain.

Being that I am doing concept pipe routing this is a pain in the neck. I am usuing visibility of segments to turn off old segments that are not linked anymore, but this is a painful workaround process.

Has anyone had similar issues before or care to share a solution to a possible workflow error I am making?

As a general rule of thumb, the current workflow goes like this:

- 2D sketch in a master part linked to other geometry & solids

- 3D sketch constrained to above 2D sketches

- inserted into an assembly

- do the derived routing from the 3D sketches

- change 2D and/or 3D sketches

- update derived routing

- piping models update.

- sometimes old, now unlinked pipes disappear, sometimes they remain.

Couple of screenshots to explain

segments remain.pngsegments remain.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
salariua
in reply to: Anonymous

I had that more than a dozen times but that’s because I am a weirdo working pushing T&P to more than it can handle.

If you get new pipe segments and fittings populated then you are fine and you only need to remove the phantom ones.

I really need to do a blog on this but for now you can read here more on how to get rid of phantom parts. You need to use promote-demote and get them outside T&P module where they can be deleted.

If the pipe segments and fittings are not updating then I would copy/paste the route and use Make Adaptive to create a new one which will populate.

Use the iProperties occurrences tab to locate it to same place, or constraints. To be honest I haven’t tested it with derived routes but I think it should work.

Good luck and let me know how that goes.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
salariua

You need to understand how derived routes work.

If you add segments in the 3D sketch, they will not show up in the route and you will not get new fittings and pipe segments, you need to use Derive Route again and add the new segments.

However, if you delete segments in the 3D sketch they will be deleted from the route and therefore any segments or fittings associated with it.

Good Luck.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

This is the exact workflow I've been using, and the issue is that this is still occuring after the workflow you stated in your second paragraph which is what I expected to happen and happens most of the time.

To be clear, even after I delete segments in the 3D sketch, the pipe segments remain.

The new segments appear but some of the old segments remain.

Message 5 of 7
salariua

I really can't comment on why some of the segments hang when they should't. Wondering if it's got to do with the 2d to 3d to route concept which I haven't paied with a lot.

Not sure if converting to lines sketch only will help you but I've been using it when doing conceptual design. You seem to drive everything from 2d but here's how.

You can also stop populating and only do it at the very end when you are happy with the layout.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

The only connection with the 2D sketch is the projection/inclusion of geomentry. The route itself is entirely built off the 3D sketch only.

Thats not to say it's not a possible reason for the issue.

All lines that aren't used for the route proper are made into sketch lines including the 2D sketches upon which i build the 3D sketches.

One weird thing I've noticed is if I use the chain selection of derived route, it sometimes still autoselects the sketch lines. In these cases I use the single select option. This issue doesn't seem to have any correlation to the old segments remaining at all.

Not populating the route when I am happy with the layout? Sounds like communism!! haha

I'm upto the 3rd concept layout that as a project team "we're happy with"

Message 7 of 7
salariua

jas25t wrote:

Not populating the route when I am happy with the layout? Sounds like communism!! haha

Wha I mean is that you run the routes and ONLY use POPULATE when the layout is acceptable (accepted / approved ) !

Since you don't have any fittings in place this seems logic. Placing fittings when routes are not populated is hard but since you don't add any fittings yet and it's only conceptual then it might be a good idea to hold populating till the very end.

jas25t wrote:

One weird thing I've noticed is if I use the chain selection of derived route, it sometimes still autoselects the sketch lines. In these cases I use the single select option. This issue doesn't seem to have any correlation to the old segments remaining at all.

The chain might get all continuous set of lines ("consctrucion" / "sketch only"). Haven't done much in the area.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report