Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Textures

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
bcmorgan55
2355 Views, 13 Replies

Textures

Using inventor 2014 when checking into vault it returns the following error:

"The file: 'C:\Users|Public|Documents\Autodesk\Inventor2013\Textures\surfaces\Plastic_4.bmp is outside the defined search paths.  You must either move the file into the defined search paths or add a new Library Search Path to continue.

I dont' understand why it isn't looking in the 2014 texture file to find this?  I confirmed it exists.

I'm not even sure why it needs these files since none of them are used in the assembly that I am checking in.

• Where do I specify this in my project file?  
  • Is this something I have to do whenever I upgrade from one version of inventor to the next?

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: bcmorgan55

Looks like you have data that is still in the 2013 directory and should be moved to your 2014 directory as it's defined in your Project File.

You should be able to just copy the files in the 2013 directory to the 2014 directory on your machine

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14
bcmorgan55
in reply to: blair

Unfortunately this is not the case. The files exist both at the 2014 and 2013 locations. To ensure this I overwrote the versions at the 2014 with the 2013 copies. (I did make backup copies of the 2014 files I overwrote just in case). Any other ideas would me much appreciated.

Thank you.
Message 4 of 14
blair

It's not that the files don't exist, the error messeage simply states that they are outside of the scope of your Project File. You may want to either delete the 2013 directory after making sure that copies of the files reside in the 2014 directory.

The first time you load the part, it may return an error which will require you then point it to the 2014 directory.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 14
bcmorgan55

By loading the drawing you mean.... Open it?
If so I opened the file but it still is looking for the 2013 location even though I have removed it. There must be a way for me to force it to look elsewhere.
Message 6 of 14
blair

I would load the model, either the IAM or IPT with the textures. Much better than loading the IDW

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 14
bcmorgan55

I was able to resolve the issue by going into the parts & assembly files that were broken and remap the image files associated with the broken appearances.

Hopefully I don't have to do this for every instance.
Message 8 of 14
lvuvan

I'm having this exact same problem. I've been combing through our appearance library and can't seem to find the any broken appearances, or any of the assembly/subassembly parts containing appearances other than ones from our custom appearance library.

Is there a way to quickly identify which parts or appearances are using the textures which show up in the error message?

I've managed to identify one of the parts which uses a texture in the error message, but it doesn't seem to contain the appearance associated with that texture as far as I know.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed here.
Message 9 of 14
blair
in reply to: lvuvan

If you created custom material/finishes in IV2012, they won't have migrated over to the new libraries that exist in IV2013 and IV2014 (both are the same now, changed in IV2013) You would have needed to migrate your libraries over before you migrated your data. This caused a great deal of issues with the release of IV2013. No real "Easy Button" for this one.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14
zergal

Hello, Did anyone come up with a solution for this? I recently switched Inventor and Vault from 2013 to 2014. Had the same error message: The file 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Textures\bumpmaps\Pattern_7_bump.bmp' is outside the defined search paths. You must either move the file into one of the defined search paths or add a new Library Search Path to continue. So this is what I've tried so far: 1. Since it's looking in the 2013 folder, I then removed the entire 2013 folder it's referencing. Restarted the computer and opened up the assembly again. By doing this, I'm hoping inventor would NOT find it in the 2013 folder, and prompt me to point to the correct path. This doesn't work. Somehow Inventor still opens it and give me the same error as above. 2.Checked that the file is in the 2014 folder. 3. Pattern_7_bump.bmp is a thread pattern. So I went into each and every single one of my parts and removed the thread pattern. Still doesn't work. 4. I'm able to check in every single part and assembly within the master assembly. But still can't check in the master. 5. Something that worked: I created a new .iam file. Copied over everything from the problematic assembly and checked-in this new file. Although this works, it's still a bit annoying that this is a way to get around the issue as far as I know.
Message 11 of 14
chasebouma

Im having the same problem. This is what appears: 

Problem.PNG

I sthere away to view all textures with the full assembly without having to search through each part?

Or any other way to fix this. 

Message 12 of 14
howardlee306
in reply to: chasebouma

Sorry to bring this one back up but I didn't see any resolution.

We are just now switching over to the Vault with IV 2016. Our content center uses parts we created in 2011. So we are having this issue any time a part is placed from our Content Center with a texture on it. They look fine, act fine, etc in the assembly because it is using our new file location for 2016, but as soon as we hit check in it tries to find the original texture in the 2011 folder which definitly no longer exists because all our computers have been replaced since then. So until we figure out how to batch fix this for 100,000 possible content center parts the vault is useless to us because we cannot check anything into it. There is not enough man power to save each part as custom, remap the texture, then replace the family. We're talking years and years of part creation for our own CC.

Message 13 of 14
scott.314
in reply to: howardlee306

Chalk me up as another having this issue, only for us it was when we switched from 2015 to 2017.

Still no solution?

Message 14 of 14
melfrmpsu

Has anyone tried to uninstall Inventor?

Then go to C:\Autodesk\PRDSU_2017_Enu_Win_64bit_dlm\Content\ADSKMaterials\<Version of Inventor> and browse to the ADSKMaterial folder, there will be a bunch of folders that have just two to three letters in them click on each one and install the .msi files inside those folders.  This will reinstall the material files in case they were not correct before install. 

Then reinstall Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report