Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Chipping
1148 Views, 22 Replies

Sheet Metal

I am trying to replicate my boat in inventor so as I can have flat patterns to get replacement parts cut and rolled.

I have created all sides of the boat using the sweep command (Circle) around a 3d path.

with the resulting round tanks I have surpresed the sweep and then made composite, then rip it down one edge and it gives me perfect flat pattern for each section of tube.

Now I need to create the hull that is V shaped and attaches to the sweep tubes at a 45 degree angle from the center of the tube in the lower inner quadrant. I did an extrusion of a V but it will not become a flat pattern and how to attach the sheet at the lower bysect of the lower inner quadrant - do i need to draw a sketch line all the way arround the sweeped tanks?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: Chipping

Take the images oriented as perpendicular as possible - like traditional orthographic 2D drawing projections.  Not sure how you will do this for the top view.  The manufacturer might already have these views on their website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 22 of 23
Chipping
in reply to: JDMather

JD, I managed to come up with this now, Created form a boundary patch and I am not able to get it to flat pattern out?? even after thickening it and creating a composite - I did manage to get it to a solid though - but still it would not fold out.

I project courves onto the tanks to get the hull weld lines - I think the hull now is close to being real - it's just how to go about getting a flat pattern for it. 

Message 23 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: Chipping

I made a few changes.

Couldn't really tell much from your pictures, they were not exactly what I was expecting.

See attached file.

Boat Views.png

I recommend that you pull the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser and then drop it down step-by-step making each sketch visible and editing to see how I created the geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report