Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section view annotation and label customization.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
andrewdroth
3908 Views, 16 Replies

Section view annotation and label customization.

I'd like to customize the way our section marker terminators look. More like an architactual style drawing.

section view annotations.png

Is there any way to do this?

I'd also like to add the sheet number that the section is cut from to the section view label.

section view label.png

As far as I can tell, this propertie is not available for insertion in the view lable. Is there a way to make it available?

The need for these changes come from larger drawing sets were the section is cut on one sheet and shown on another. We'd like to link the sheet numbers in both the section marker terminator and view label.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Hi,

I don't think its possible at the moment. I have logged this as a wishlist. I will check whether there is anyway to do this through a Macro. Will keep you posted.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 17
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: andrewdroth

ive was asking for this at least 6 years ago

Its a structural / architectural thing, so the Inventor team never realy seamed interested as it is a mechanical package.

The newer techs seem a bit more keen to listen so you might get somewhere now ( i gave up a long time ago and just havent got around to pushing that barrow for a while)

This type of symbol is asked for to satisfy some checkers and design managers who dont realy understand the difference between drafting standards and types of drawings and insist on using structural symbols on mechanical drawings and or use a mechanical package to create structural drawings, rather than using the appropriate software for the job (there are plenty of structural and architectuaral packages that have the symbols your after built in)

As a workaround, I have the structural callouts as sketched symbols. Its a bit clumsy but gets the job done.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 4 of 17

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums.

The issue that you describe has been reported by other customers to Autodesk and is being researched by our development team.

We will keep you posted with an update soon.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 5 of 17
JH81

I second the need for this type of customisation in my current position. This inability makes management very reluctant to embrace 'new' software when all the original ways of doing things cannot be done and you end up with drawings from different packages not looking consistent.

Message 6 of 17

So it's almost been a couple years now, any update on this?

Can someone from Autodesk let me know if this is something that we should be able to excpect in a future release?

I just whant to know if it will ever happen, I could probably link a dozen posts of people asking the same question in the last 8 years.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 7 of 17
jasonrecords

feature is still not available....,  I made a request for this on Inventor IdeaStation

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/detail-or-section-view-title-show-what-page-the-p...

Message 8 of 17
JasonOwen
in reply to: jasonrecords

Has this feature been incorporated into the 2017 release?

Message 9 of 17
s.mccarthy
in reply to: JasonOwen

Hello Autodesk...

Anybody home..???

Message 10 of 17
SBix26
in reply to: s.mccarthy

FYI, this is a peer to peer user forum, not an Autodesk official support channel...

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP2
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Message 11 of 17
JH81
in reply to: SBix26

Yes but shouldn't Inventor have at least a few people on here having a look at what we want/need? The customer always being right and all that... 

Message 12 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JH81

Hi! Have you heard about Inventor Ideas forum? That is a public forum for users to post suggestions and ideas. Users can vote on the ideas. The proposals are reviewed actively and regularly. Some proposals do get implemented.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 17
stevenguy
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Dear Autodesk.

Are you still supporting Inventor and help your customer to speed up thier or not we pay subscription to you every year for you to ignore. Really?

I'd been searching and keep eye on this post for while and nothing happening here.

I been using the custom block to replace the section number and it is getting old.

Is there a solution for this yet?

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 14 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: stevenguy

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, this particular request has not yet been fulfilled. It is similar to the following idea. You may want to cast your vote to the idea.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/custom-section-marks/idi-p/3804410

Like other users already mentioned, the request is somewhat unique to architectural design, which was not Inventor's primary industry focus. The other constraint is that adding custom section mark involves change in styles and style library. It is not like adding a sketch symbol and attaching it to section line. In the meantime, if you have access to AutoCAD, you could create associative drawing views to Inventor components in AutoCAD also (VIEWBASE). I think the type of section arrow you are looking for may be supported there.

I will follow up with the project team and see if this is on the radar.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 17

8 Years and still do not have this?  Is this the new "Spell check"?

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer
Engineering Tooling and Vault Manager for Material Handling Systems MHS

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.
Message 16 of 17
IB55
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John,

Is there any plan to add architectural section  call out to Inventor? For multisheet drawings it is almost essential to have destination sheet reference in the section call out.

Many Thanks

Message 17 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! You may want to vote for the following idea on Inventor Ideas forun.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/detail-or-section-view-title-show-what-page-the-parent...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report