Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved servers - lost project files, trying to create new tells me it exists?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jyager
282 Views, 2 Replies

Moved servers - lost project files, trying to create new tells me it exists?

Short story long...I Just got a new machine, we're relocating files to my machine locally rather than the central server where it was before to try to speed things up.

I can find my files, paths are all fine...so I have no problem opening the files up.

I do not (and the old PC was wiped already) have the project files. So I went this mornign to recreate a project file...(I basically just want the job folder and company library folder attached to the project to avoid wasting time scrolling through folders) and when I go to create the project file it tells me the project file already exists?

Is there a way to return those project files to the project file selector window/browser?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: jyager

Jason,

Not sure what you mean by,

@jyager wrote:

Is there a way to return those project files to the project file selector window/browser?

If you are looking to just make the default project file look like the old one you used to have (not sure why you never backed this up), just copy it in Windows Explorer, rename it, then make it read/write and open it up and change the folder settings.

Are you looking for more then this?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
tahdesign1
in reply to: jyager

So if you have never gone into App Options and changed where your project files are created (ipj) there should still be there that is why it is saying it already exists.

By default the project file created lands in the %userprofile%\documents\inventor\ directory.

On my windows 7 machine that specfic path with my user name is C:\Users\tah\Documents\Inventor

That being part of you profile it should be going up and down to you server as you log in and out of the network. So when you got your new machine all you existing project files were pushed down to the local machine when you logged in.

You should only have to browse in project manager to that location and reload them. Project manager is nothing more than an interface to show the currently loaded ipj files. Some companies may house these in other locations besides the users profile.

As long as all the pathing that existed in your previous projects files still exists on the network all should be good, just reload them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report