Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Flat Pattern hull can it do it?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Chipping
1112 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Flat Pattern hull can it do it?

I have spent about 70 hours trying all sorts of different things to a get a boat hull flat pattern. It seems inventor can only do it by generating a series of Sheet Metal lofted flanges and then manually joining the flat patterns for each loft section. I have not explored to see if the face command can draw a complex face that can be flatterned and I have not explored the "Project Flat Pattern" command.

A simple boundary patch created a near perfect face of the hull - should I be looking at exporting this face into other software that can flattern it?

Any ideas will be helpfull.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

If I think of a boat hull I can see deformation of the plates, and this is what Inventor won't do. Plastic deformation and flat patterns of sheetmetal parts is not acheivable in Inventor. You would probably need to run this through other software.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Chipping

Inventor can make flat pattern from "developable" spline faces, not any spline face. Based on the description of the model you are building, I don't think the faces are developable. If want, you can post the file here or send it to me directly to further confirm. Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
Chipping
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Ok here is the file so the surface i need to get a flat pattern for is the boundary patch. i.e. half of the hull. Any methodology or any way I can flat pattern it would be great pls.

Message 5 of 9
WHolzwarth

Here's a STEPout from Rhino.

Be aware that only an approximation can be done. But depending on the curvature of the surface you can get good or worse results.

In this case the flattened surface is about 0.5% greater than the hull surface. IMO it could be used.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Chipping
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hey that looks awesome, I downloaded Rhino to look at it, correct me if I am wrong pls - The top view is the flat pattern and how did you export from inventor and import to rhino and what did you do to acheive this? Also do you think I would get a more accurate flat pattern if i model the whole thing in Rhino? And why does inventor not do this? I would have thought that inventor should have been able to do this.

Thanks heaps so far - I feel some what relieved after my efforts and seeing this flat pattern.

Message 7 of 9
WHolzwarth

Smiley WinkLots of questions.

- Transfer to Rhino by STEP, same way back to Inventor

- Modeling in Rhino wouldn't really help. If you have the same basic surface, you'll get the same results with Rhino's Smash command

- Inventor only can unroll developable surfaces, which are curved in only one direction. The hull is 2-direction curvature.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Chipping
in reply to: WHolzwarth

So you used the smash command to produce that flat pattern right and then cross checked it's surface area against the shaped part? 

Message 9 of 9
Chipping

Walter I was able to reproduce what you did - Thanks heaps for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report