Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2016 MultiCAD - Will constraints come in as well?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dennis
1002 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2016 MultiCAD - Will constraints come in as well?

I have played a bit with the Inventor Pro 2016.  I see how the MultiCAD works, but I am not getting constraints holding the parts together in the Assembly.  So, do they not come over?  I do get the parts perfectly.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: dennis

Does it say somewhere that constraints are maintained?.. Probably not.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr

Does it say somewhere that constraints are maintained?.. Probably not.. 

AFAIK its just a linked part that will update when you change it in the other cad software but constraints are not mentioned anywhere and I highly doubt thats supported..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
mflayler2
in reply to: mcgyvr

With the AnyCAD in 2016 you have two options...

Reference (new)

Convert (legacy)

Convert is no different than a file translation has ever been.  Parts, and SubAssemblies will be new bodies with 6 DOF for work in your design.  If you want them stationary, ground them or reconstrain them.  There is no link to the original model.

Reference will bring in an assembly fully put together and essentially bonded.  When the originating software updates the model then the Inventor model will update accordingly... Here is a CATProduct brought into Inventor 2016 with Reference.

2015-04-09_17-00-49.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! The pirmary design intent of AnyCAD workflow is assuming that the non-native files (source) drive the linked geometry in the Inventor files. So there is no point exposing constraints in the non-native files in Inventor. Also, if the non-native assembly is brought in as a whole subassembly, the DOF within the subassembly is not exposed to top level anyway.

Could you provide a workflow that exposing constraints in non-native assembly or making a linked assembly flexible is desirable?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
dennis
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I asked the question on the constraints specifically for two of my clients.  They use Inventor, but their "other office overseas" uses Solidworks.  They take the sub-assemblies and then build Inventor assemblies around those subs.  THat is where the "wish" for the constraints would maintain as welll, currently their workflow, they have to rebuild the constraints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report