Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I demote FG end cap plates?!?!?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jeanchile
325 Views, 4 Replies

Why can't I demote FG end cap plates?!?!?

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this stuff. I can always rely on the users on this forum for excellent help.

First, let me say that I should NEVER have upgraded to 2024. I was sucked into the new functionality and went against my better judgement, and I did something I never do.... upgraded to the newest version.

I spent a few days creating a new FG library of custom End Cap plates using the cool new tools for these I didn't have before. Now that I am using them for the first time, I am running into something I didn't expect. When creating Frame Generator components, we often demote them after creation into sub-assemblies that are going to be fabricated in the shop. For 12 years this has worked without a single problem, until today.

I have several "columns" that I added a cap plate to the top of and now, for some reason, I cannot demote the HSS part and the Cap Plate into a sub-assembly (where I will add base plate, etc.). Why can't I demote cap plates? Can anybody else demote cap plates? Did I screw something up when I made the new custom families? Can someone please take a look at their installation and see if it works on their end (with our without making a custom family)?

I've had nothing but issues with 2024 and after crashing eight times today and redoing a bunch of work. I am now stuck by THIS? After all I've done, I didn't expect to be hung up here. Thanks again for any help you guys can provide (and I mean "guys" in the general sense of "people", I'm definitely not trying to be misogynistic).

J...

Demote Issue.png

Inventor Professional
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
YannickEnrico
in reply to: jeanchile

On a completely fresh installation I cannot demote them all at once either.

However, I can drag the end plates into the demoted assembly.

Edit: Pardon the lack of visible edges. It really *IS* that fresh of an installation

YannickEnrico_0-1689827396450.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 3 of 5
jeanchile
in reply to: YannickEnrico

Thank you for the help Yannick. I should have mentioned that I tried that and it didn't work. To clarify though, in testing it again after your response, if the newly created sub-assembly is "not expanded" in the browser, you can't drag the End Cap into the sub-assembly. But if you "expand" the sub-assembly node first, you can drag the End Cap into it. While this is certainly a "work-around" to getting this to work, it's kind of ridiculous that I now have to do four extra steps with every sub-assembly I demote with an End Cap.

I also need to note that I also tried to create a sub-assembly without the End Cap, then "demote" the End Cap into the new sub-assembly by using the "demote" function on just the End Cap and specifying the same "sub-assembly" name in the dialog for just the End Cap (a procedure I use all the time when I forget to add something into the demoted sub-assembly) and while that process works for other items, it doesn't work for End Caps for some stupid reason.

Please fix this Autodesk. I spent all this time creating the new End Cap families my company needed and now we have to use "special procedures" to get these to function like everything else in Frame Generator. I also need to point out that my Inventor crashed twice while doing this. It's getting ridiculous how often my 2024 craps the bed.

EndCapAttempt2.png

Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 5
YannickEnrico

This is a screenshot from IV2023. I'm not sure how that behaves different than IV2024?

Edit:

I'm not trying to say the functionality couldn't be better. Just trying to figure out how it's different.

YannickEnrico_0-1689832607954.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! The implementation is incomplete. To properly demote specialized components created in Bolted Conn, Cable&Harness, Design Accelerator, Frame Gen, or Tube&Pipe environment, the dedicated Demote command needs to be implemented for the particular environment. Unfortunately, it has not been done yet.

The regular Demote/Promote will break the model intelligence in such specialized components.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report