Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the future of Inventor?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
rgollob
2482 Views, 18 Replies

What is the future of Inventor?

Good Morning Autodesk community,

This is as much a question for the users as it is for Autodesk. If this is not the correct platform for this discussion please point me in the direction of the one that is. 

My company currently has 10+ seats of Inventor/HSM Ultimate and we are leaving this Software/Community and dropping all but 1 seat to support the work we've been doing in the software for the past 2 years.

We've had some struggles over the years with support, software limitations, Licensing, etc. However overall we have been able complete 90+ percent of what we do with this software and for me personally I love the Autodesk software and the community. (minus the monthly subscription).

That being said the heaviest decisioning factor was based on some information that one person in the company believes he was told by and Autodesk employee and/or reseller and that's "Inventor and HSM are eventually going away in favor of fusion 360 and Powermill" and/or "will not be developed past a certain point" therefor the option is to upgrade to powermill to gain the software capabilities we need or move to fusion 360.

Fusion 360 is not an option as they are cloud based and currently have no provisions in place to support certain regulation we must abide by. Equally Powermill is substantially more expensive (I'm told) and has no compatibility with inventor meaning we now have to maintain monthly licenses on 2 separate software packages.

Can anyone from Autodesk validate this concern? How do you guys feel as a community? Do you get the feeling Inventor will go away in the future? 

Just to be clear I personally don't see this happening and I enjoy this product package and the community its built on! I'll be sad to see our company move away from it.       

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: rgollob

@rgollob

Whatever you heard from an Autodesk Employee and/or reseller is just talk, rumors, their view/point or just words.  If there's a plan or a future path..  You will not know it until the formal public announcement is made.  If you making your decision based on this..  Well I would caution you in doing so.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 19
DarrenP

agreed this is just talk & nothing has been said directly by Autodesk publicly

My personal feeling is Inventor is not going away anytime soon or being replaced by Fusion 360

Fusion 360 still has a long way to go to be able to completely replace Inventor

Powermill i have no experience with nor do i have an opinion what is happening with this

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 19
dgorsman

Regarding any kind of "... product BlahBlah is eventually going away/getting cancelled/etc. ..." type suggestions, I recommend a rather crude but succinct internet meme: "Proof, or shut up."  I've heard this from any number of people on any number of products, and it usually boils down to someone or another doesn't like how a program operates, or doesn't like the fact the developers are not putting their needs (wants, really) front and center, or is simply shilling for a competitor.

Like most developers, Autodesk cannot and will not comment on the future of product development past the upcoming release.  In the case of publicly traded companies this has legal ramifications.  In all cases, it's a matter of committing to a certain period of time beyond the next year or two is a virtual suicide pact due to how quickly the industry can move in that period of time.  Think about it: five years ago, did you consider how much would be running off of cloud servers (regardless of your own lack of use)?  Did you think NVidia would stop development of Mental Ray, or that Autodesk would purchase SolidEdge/Arnold?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 19
JDMather

@rgollob wrote:

...."Inventor and HSM are eventually going away in favor of fusion 360 ....       

Have you used Fusion 360?

Contrary to their marketing hype - the development of Fusion is so slowwwwwwwww that I doubt it will match Inventor functionality before I retire.

If I go purchase a new car - I expect it to have everything my old car had, plus a bit more.

I don't want to be told, "But you are comparing new technology to mature technology."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 19
jtylerbc

Most software dies eventually.  Inventor will likely be one of them someday, but I haven't seen any reason to believe that the end is near.

I have spent little time in anything involving Fusion myself, but the impression I've gotten from others is that it is nowhere near ready to take over from Inventor, even if that is the long-term plan for it in the future.

Like the others that have posted, I think your company may be overreacting by making this major change based on the word of one guy that may or may not even be an Autodesk employee.  At the most, I think it's worth looking at alternative programs for an idea of where you might go, but don't see any pressing reason to actually make the change right now. 

Message 7 of 19
doug.johnston

As an Autodesk software user for 25+ years (AutoCAD, Inventor, Showcase, etc.), I do not see Inventor going away anytime soon. 

That said, given the current technology and push for the entire computer software industry to go to subscription/cloud based programs;  I do see Fusion360 being pushed more and more.  My own opinion - is that Inventor will be replaced with Fusion and/or a cloud based program.

Given that Autodesk has in the past eliminated programs that were functioning well (eg. Showcase, Inventor Publisher, etc.); it would not surprise me that Autodesk would stop Inventor.  But, not for a very long time .... there are way too many companies/industries/etc. using Inventor.

---------------------------------------------------
It's not easy maintaining this level of insanity !!!!!
Message 8 of 19
mcgyvr

I heard that Fusion and Inventor will both be retired in 2 years as they transition everyone over to immensely capable Tinkercad software which is being purchased next year by Google and will become the replacement for the ever popular Sketchup platform.. 

I also heard that Amazon is purchasing Autodesk and will become Amazesk which is going to focus solely on resurrecting drafting tables and mechanical pencils..  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 19
swalton
in reply to: mcgyvr

Man,

I missed all kinds of important information by not going to AU2017....

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 10 of 19
dgorsman
in reply to: doug.johnston

@doug.johnston wrote:

Given that Autodesk has in the past eliminated programs that were functioning well (eg. Showcase, Inventor Publisher, etc.)

How well a program functions isn't necessarily the criteria in consideration.  Things like how much work it is to maintain (including updates to newer OS), and how much it's in use/commercial returns would be more in tune with the decision making process.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi! This question can be asked for any product on the market. Nobody can say for sure that a given product would last for how many years. It depends on many external and internal factors. Back in 1982, when a team of very smart developers launched a product called AutoCAD, I don't think they had envisioned the longevity of it. So did Catia or NX (Unigraphics), the two older CADs than AutoCAD.

I don't think anybody except the ones with super power would be able to tell you the answer. It sounds like you are not 100% satisfied with Inventor Professional + HSM. Could you elaborate on the things you are not happy with so we can do better?

In terms of F360, I encourage you to try it. It is free to try as all Autodesk products. If it works for you, it will be a great bargain and you will help your company save a lot of money. If it does not work for you, you still have the tools you have. Certainly, I don't want you to look at offerings from other companies for apparent reasons. But, nothing could stop you from doing that.

We are committed to make Inventor Professional better and we are doing it on a daily basis. If you have any concern or any question, please contact me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I am more than happy to answer based on my best knowledge. If I cannot do it, I should be able to find the right person to do that.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 19
hncarle
in reply to: johnsonshiue

LOL There is always SolidWorks. 

Message 13 of 19
johnsonshiue
in reply to: hncarle

Hi! Sure, SWX is a formidable competitor. However, if SWX was the solution for everybody, you would not be able to make that comment here. I am not in the business of promoting SWX. But, SWX is a good product. So is INV. INV can do a lot things that SWX cannot, vice versa for sure. If you like using SWX, please help make it better. We would like to focus on improving INV here.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 19
rgollob

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! This question can be asked for any product on the market. Nobody can say for sure that a given product would last for how many years. It depends on many external and internal factors. Back in 1982, when a team of very smart developers launched a product called AutoCAD, I don't think they had envisioned the longevity of it. So did Catia or NX (Unigraphics), the two older CADs than AutoCAD.

I don't think anybody except the ones with super power would be able to tell you the answer. It sounds like you are not 100% satisfied with Inventor Professional + HSM. Could you elaborate on the things you are not happy with so we can do better?

In terms of F360, I encourage you to try it. It is free to try as all Autodesk products. If it works for you, it will be a great bargain and you will help your company save a lot of money. If it does not work for you, you still have the tools you have. Certainly, I don't want you to look at offerings from other companies for apparent reasons. But, nothing could stop you from doing that.

We are committed to make Inventor Professional better and we are doing it on a daily basis. If you have any concern or any question, please contact me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I am more than happy to answer based on my best knowledge. If I cannot do it, I should be able to find the right person to do that.

Many thanks!

Thank you @johnsonshiue

I completely agree.

As for being completely satisfied with the software, I personally would like to see better 5 axis capabilities in HSM and I know a few of my coworkers are having to use other software's to flatten complex parts as well as simulation capabilities being a concern to name a few things. That being said, I love Inventor + HSM. I think Autodesk has simplified so much their Cad/Cam software's. I am an NX programmer primarily and though it took a little getting used to (as one could imagine) moving to Inventor +HSM, moving back to NX you really begin to realize where its lacking and how convoluted the operations are in NX.

Personally I think Autodesk products are much better and where they may be lacking in some areas they more than make up for it in other areas. I feel like Autodesk has made significant strides to improve the software just since we started using it 2 years ago and I have seen a HUGE shift in not only the quality and efficiency of the programs here in our company but also a reduction in the amount of time it takes to get a program from engineering to production.

We are having some large scale meetings here at our company on what future Cad/Cam software will be, but im afraid it likely will not be an Autodesk product.

As for Fusion 360, I have used it, but not as heavily as Inventor HSM. Its not as visually appealing as Invention/HSM, but it has a lot of features that are not available in Inventor/HSM. Which has always baffled us as its so much cheaper.

Fusion 360 was actually the companies first choice when moving away from NX, but the cloud based platform is not ITAR compliant and therefor cant be used at our company.  

Message 15 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your kind words! Every product has room for improvement, Inventor or HSM is not an exception. It sounds like you have specific request for HSM particularly. If you send me an email, I should be able to involve some discussion with the team.

In terms of Inventor's ability of flattening complex geometry, it is an area we are actively working on. If you are interested, please sign up Inventor Beta program.

https://bit.ly/InventorBeta

You will be able to try out the latest Inventor build in a no-install required environment, give feedback to the project teams and interact with project teams in real time.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 19
hncarle

Haa Haa just poking the bear.  I've been using both inventor and SolidWorks for years.  They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Message 17 of 19
rgollob

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your kind words! Every product has room for improvement, Inventor or HSM is not an exception. It sounds like you have specific request for HSM particularly. If you send me an email, I should be able to involve some discussion with the team.

In terms of Inventor's ability of flattening complex geometry, it is an area we are actively working on. If you are interested, please sign up Inventor Beta program.

https://bit.ly/InventorBeta

You will be able to try out the latest Inventor build in a no-install required environment, give feedback to the project teams and interact with project teams in real time.

Many thanks!

Thank you again @johnsonshiue

I signed up for the inventor beta program! Thank you for that, I am looking forward to helping in any way I can!

and to everyone else who took the time to reply, Thank you as well! Each of you bring up very valid points and I value the input of the community and the Autodesk team. Its great to be a part of this large network of professionals.  

Message 18 of 19

I see the future in realizing only the best ideas. If Autodesk wants it. Here I send .-))) https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/new-bill-of-materials/idi-p/8358449

Message 19 of 19
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: dusan.naus.trz

This is a great idea with lots information!

As Johnson said above, please join in the beta program and some of ideas are working on.

Thanks!

Xun

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report