Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this symbol mean?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
R62C
1657 Views, 5 Replies

What does this symbol mean?

Hello All!!!

I have recently been given a drawing which I must translate into a 3D CAD drawing with Inventor. Just for understandings sake - what does the symbol which is circled in red stand for? The label is dutch and says "Applies to all four sides". By this label I am guessing it means radius?

Untitled.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DANIEL.CHASE
in reply to: R62C

It is a surface finish symbol. The number calls out the maximum roughness, and the line inside the check calls for removal of material (as opposed to a standard check which would mean the roughness can be obtained by various methods)

Message 3 of 6
kelly.young
in reply to: R62C

@R62C this is a Surface Roughness Symbol. Material removal by machining is required to produce the surface. The number is the material removal allowance. 12,5 is the amount of stock to be removed.

GD&T Surface Roughness

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: kelly.young

@kelly.young wrote:

... The number is the material removal allowance. 12,5 is the amount of stock to be removed.

No, @kelly.young, the number is the nominal or maximum roughness in micrometers (µm) or microinches (µin), generally given as Ra (vs. Rz).  12,5 (or 12.5 in US notation) is pretty rough, so this is not a difficult specification to meet. More information than you probably want from CNC Cookbook®.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.1.1
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 5 of 6
jtylerbc
in reply to: kelly.young

@kelly.young, the machining allowance would be to the left of the symbol instead of on top of it. 

Message 6 of 6
kelly.young
in reply to: jtylerbc

@SBix26 & @jtylerbc Yeah, been a long while since I worked in a machine shop. Thanks for the correction!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report