Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update iassembly parameters on the fly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
615 Views, 7 Replies

Update iassembly parameters on the fly

Hi

I have created an iassembly which contains an ipart and a standard part constrained (mate) together. When I place the iassembly into another assembly I would like to adjust the offset of the constraint on the fly. Idealy I would be able to type in a value to change the offset whenever I place it. I would like to change the offset between the two parts from anything between 1mm & 125mm. Is it possible to set up a column in the iassembly table that can be dynamic and how would I do it?

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I have created an iassembly which contains an ipart and a standard part constrained (mate) together. When I place the iassembly into another assembly I would like to adjust the offset of the constraint on the fly. Idealy I would be able to type in a value to change the offset whenever I place it. I would like to change the offset between the two parts from anything between 1mm & 125mm. Is it possible to set up a column in the iassembly table that can be dynamic and how would I do it?

Many thanks

So want a to be able to change the value of the constraint in the sub-iassembly on insertion of that iassembly into another assembly without creating a new member of that sub-iassembly?

Or is it ok to create a new member each time with the differing constraint?

Any reason you don't want to just add that constraint in the upper level assembly and set the sub as flexible and just remove that constraint from the subassembly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto

What I would do is rename this parameter here to some name you will remember parameter.JPG

Then under the manage tab select this command and drag it into the browser so it is always there.

browser.JPG

Once it is in the browser, RC in the open area and select "Add Form"

browser.JPG

then find your renamed parameter here and drag it over to the right.  You can even rename the "Form 2" to something easier for you to identify with.  Hit "Ok" and this form will always be in your file.  You probably want to consider adding this to your template files as well so that everytime a new file is created it will be there.

parameter.JPG

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi Mcgyvr, Many thanks for the response.

The ipart and standard part together make a single 'inseparable' component. Imagine the ipart being a steel column and the standard part being a base plate. I won't be applying a weld, haven't figured that bit out yet. Now the 'steel column' can have upwards of 50 different lengths but each time i place the component in a new assembly I would like to type in a distance in mm to offset the edge of the column from one edge of the baseplate. It could be flush to the edge or upto 125mm away.

I have 6 different base plates and 9 different sections of steel column, all columns having upwards of 50 lengths. Swapping out the base plate or steel section/length in the iassembly seems straightforward. I’m trying to avoid having an extra 125 members for each column / base plate configuration or at least with my limited experience this appears to be what I’d need to do.

50 x 9 x 6 = 2700 members. If I then have to introduce 125 extra members per configuration that gives me 337500 members. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Again many thanks

B

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto

Thanks for the response. I can't quite figure out the result yours will give me, I will try it out later today to see what happens and let you know.

Many thanks B

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Cadmanto

I created a form in iLogic, I've not used iLogic before so was feeling about in the dark a little bit. To get the form to show in the assembly which I placed the iassembly into I had to use 'Global Form'. Once I placed the iassembly and clicked on the form, the parameter was greyed out with a line through it so I couldn't at that point change the value. When using this form, would I need to go into the iassembly each time I want to use it and change the form value first? If so I can't see the benefit as I could just as easily change the offset in the constraint. Also because I'd want to place multiple instances of the iassembly all with a different value for this parameter, would changing the form value then change all the instances to be the same?

Thank you

B

Message 7 of 8
Cadmanto

Hi B,

I think I am starting to see what you are trying to accomplish.  The parapmeter in the form will not change the iassembly parts.  Only the assembly in which the form resides.  So, maybe this is not the exact way to go,  While I am very limited in my knowledge of ilogic, it just seems to me that between setting up the parameters in the iassembly table and some how getting a rule to be created that would allow you to easily change those values on the fly seems like it could be done through ilogic.  I have seen my co-worker do some amazing things through ilogic which leads me to think this way.  He belongs to this forum, so I will see if I cvan have him take a look tomorrow and get his thoughts.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 8
Cadmanto

Hi B,

I did tell the gentleman on Friday and he thought he could help you.  I see he hasn't posted anything as of yet.  I can prod him again.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report