Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Planes in Presentation environment

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
mies07
5041 Views, 29 Replies

Turning off Planes in Presentation environment

Is there a way to globally turn off user and origin workplanes, sketches, axes, etc. in the ipn environment, similar to what you can do in the assembly and part environment?

Right now the only way I can seem to do this is to drill down to each individual part/assembly/component and make sure it is turned off there first - this is highly annoying when all you are trying to do is grab a piece to click it for tweaking. You can't even pick the planes - there's no object selection option for faces and edges...

See:

IPN PLANES.JPG

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
salariua
in reply to: mies07

Curtis has an ilogic code which I use a lot. It will turn off all work features no matter how deep they are in the browser.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 30
salariua

Planes are work features so you need to change to feature priority and then select them by the edges or by window selection.

In my Tube and Pipe experience, there is a bug, some work features don't turn off on multiple selections.

The right click visibility doesn't work. It is a bug because the ALT+V shortcut command recently introduced works.

Edit:

screencast is too slow, here is short animation.

170828-02.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 4 of 30
mies07
in reply to: salariua

Thanks for the reply, but you are missing the point. I know how to turn off work features in Assembly and Part environments. The question was about the Presentation environment (ipn). There does not seem to be a tool in that environment to turn these on and off, nor is there a way to set object selection priority to "faces and edges" so I can select planes, as there is in the assembly and part environments. The only selection priorities available in presentations is "select component" and "select part".

This question is about the Presentation environment. See the screen shot in the original posting.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 30
salariua

@mies07 wrote:

The question was about the Presentation environment (ipn).

apologize for that. I can only think of changing the representation, try cycling it to a different one.

Inventor_170728_13-51-11.png

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 30
richard.zielke
in reply to: salariua

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I have a ton of planes like the original poster in my IPN file that I need to turn off, but I don't see that functionality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 7 of 30

Just come across this problem with the latest update. It has not a problem for me for a good long while but seems to be back.

This is what happened:-

My assembly has all its planes turned off,

I started a presentation from the assembly, I made some exploded presentations views/snapshots, I switched out of "presentation" to the actual assembly, made a tweak and switched back to the presentation and then all the Planes were on!!!!  

The only way I can get around this is to start again now that I've made the tweak--- What a pain in the Butt!

Message 8 of 30
soctavio
in reply to: warren_ramsdale

I agree, this sucks!

Message 9 of 30
johnsonshiue
in reply to: soctavio

Hi! Could you open the assembly and activate different design view representations? Do you see the workplanes showing up? It sounds like Design View: Master is active when you place the assembly into the ipn.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 30

Hi johnsonshiue,
I would, if I used Design views, but I don't as a rule. INV2019 is waiting to be installed. Hopefully things might be better.
Cheers
w.
Message 11 of 30
bill.sapp
in reply to: richard.zielke

You posted this in January, and unless you found a solution, I am assuming there is no solution. I had my first occurrence of planes showing up in an IPN file today, and it is truly annoying. I am amazed that in 7 months nothing has come out of this. Not even a " sorry, we are aware of the issue", or " it is not fixable". I have wasted hours trying to hide some planes. Not acceptable for something that simple.  

Planes Gone Wild.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 12 of 30
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bill.sapp

Hi Bill,

I understand this behavior might have frustrated you. But, if I understood the behavior correctly, the work geometry visibility control is indeed by Design View Representation. It looks like the work geometry is visible within the part itself. You can either open the part in its own window and turn off the visibility of the work geometry individually or View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck work geometry. This will make the work geometry invisible in all assemblies where this particular part is used. Another way to do it is to control it within the assembly. Open the assembly and go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck work geometry.

Does it not work for you?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 30
bill.sapp
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I did a reply to this post in the email I received, but the link to reply here would not work, so I want to do that now. I opened each part in it's own window and unchecked "user work planes" on the Object Visibility tab, and I did the same for the assembly. When I went back into the IPN file, no change, so it isn't syncing in real time to the assembly. I shut down Inventor entirely, and the planes were gone when I reopened the file.

I can only imagine performing this on an assembly with a hundred parts, not good, and something that should not continue. Planes appearing on their own has been a problem for years in Inventor. It usually occurs when a part is suppressed, and then unsuppressed.  If they are manually hidden in the individual parts, in the feature tree, they should stay that way. I know where to go to turn them back on, if I desire to do so. I have never turned them on for a presentation, only for editing.

Message 14 of 30
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bill.sapp

Hi Bill,

I think what I described should be the way Inventor works. But, it sounds like you are seeing a different behavior. There could be a bug that I am not aware of. Do you mind sharing a workflow leading to such behavior or an example. I am more than happy to take a look and see if the behavior is expected.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 30
jASONrGNDU4
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm also having the same issue.

I start with an assembly that has all of its Planes and Sketches hidden.  Create a new presentation file and insert the assembly with a certain Level of Detail. Everything looks great, no planes or sketches visible.  

Now, if I go into the assembly and suppress a component under that level of detail and go back to the presentation file, all of the planes and sketches are now shown.  They are user added work planes and sketches for skeleton modeling/frame generator components.  I go back to the assembly and none of these planes or sketches are showing there.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: jASONrGNDU4

I have been having the same problem for as long as I can remember (and that is a long time because I remember Mechanical desktop). The only way I have found to clear the issue is to shut down Inventor and restart. This is a terrible solution when you are showing something to a customer. Yes, I tried cycling design views, yes I know about visibility. This is a bug and an egregious one at that. 

Message 17 of 30
tim7ZXZT
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk, 

This is still happening and it's really frustrating!! I don't even know why the planes/sketches decided to turn on in the first place but they are in my presentation now and I can't get rid of them! 

Are there any workarounds that work?

TRA

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

Whenever I edit a part in the presentation environment I have the same result. My solution is to work with the planes on until ready to make a video or present. Then I close down INV and restart. I do not make any edits during actual presentations or before creating a video. 

Message 19 of 30
tim7ZXZT
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for outlining the behaviour you've observed!  Now you've said that, I think that's likely what happened with me as well.  

TRA

Message 20 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: tim7ZXZT

INV software is incredibly complex. I have done a bit of programming in my life and it is child's play compared to CAD. I have noticed that in an assembly environment and editing a part, sketches are automatically turned on and remain on. This makes sense because I can't edit a part without seeing the sketches. This behavior is probably at the root of the issue in presentations. I like you just need to get the job done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report