Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with intersecting Sweep

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
thomas
120 Views, 2 Replies

Trouble with intersecting Sweep

Hi all,

christmas is coming up and for our yearly christmas party I would like to 3D print a christmas tree.

Now, I found a design I like, however, creating a model in Inventor to 3D print it is easier said than done.

The file has a bunch of intersecting lines and the sweep command doesn't share the same excitement as I do with this project.

The sweep itself is a Spline (interpolation) and I would like to run a round profile along the spline.

I've also tried to offset and scale the spline. Both features gave an error as well.

What would be the best path forward to get this modeled?

The final model should be ~3ft tall with a 3/8" round sweep profile.

File is attached.

thomas_0-1665877763989.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
WHolzwarth
in reply to: thomas

I think, Inventor can't do it. But Rhino can, see STEP.

I didn't take care of the real scale.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: thomas

Hi! Indeed, Inventor Sweep cannot handle such path due to various reasons. 1) The path is one piece and self-intersecting. If you can break up the path into multiple pieces using Sketch Split, it will work better. 2) There are a few places having very small radius (high curvature). The profile would self-intersect at those areas.

I did try using Solid Sweep with small sphere, since it can handle self-intersection better. But, it still fails.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report