Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Questions

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
iansilbe
332 Views, 1 Reply

Thread Questions

I have a .625-24 UNEF-2A shaft that will go into an internal part.  I wanted to make this internal part (hollow cylinder) have an ID=.575".  While I can create the UNC and UNF threads for the .625 nominal size, I cannot create the UNEF.  I have to make the ID=.625" for the UNEF to be created on the female part.  I want to make sure I know why this is the case for the future, so how can I develop my intuition for this?  Is .625 the pitch diameter?

Relatedly, on the male part, is there any reason to have the diameter that the threads go on as 0.575", or should I just make it .625? (see below) Thanks!

iansilbe_0-1594766786595.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
imajar
in reply to: iansilbe

For Starters, I would suggest using the hole feature, which automatically does all of that for you, and the 5/8-24 thread is available.

But for your question, I was able to put a 5/8-24 internal thread in a .575" hole, but inventor did complain about mismatched diameters and I had to accept the error.  But I think your approach is correct, you should model the hole at .575" for that thread.  Not sure why Inventor is throwing the error.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report