Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin feature vs Solid

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Yashasvi23481
205 Views, 2 Replies

Thin feature vs Solid

Hi,

I am working on FEA for a big set of silhouettes and they are all 8 mm plates. From earlier threads, I was directed to treat solids as thin feature if L/D ratio is more than 100. I am having bit funny results things don't match up somehow. There are no fasteners as parts have keyway slots which are self locking. 

See the dwg attached in pdf and let me know when to use thin feature and when to treat as solid ? Same load and constraint in each of 3 situations provided. I want to have consistency in report so either all shud be thin feature or all has to be solid. I hope the pdf gives clear picture. I am tending to avoid sharing models as much as possible.

Regards and many Thanks,

Yash

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
swalton
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

What type of contacts did you use between your shells? 

The automatic contacts may have worked for the solids, but you may need to make manual contacts between the shells. 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-0287D36F-9A68-4CF1-BA8C-E546484E565C

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-3512208A-D415-4FD2-B195-F010F1CA2DD0

Post an assembly and parts so someone can take a look.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 3
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: swalton

Hi Walton,

Thanks for suggestion. Yes I used automatic contact will try manual and see the output. Will share zip folder here doing pack and send.  Please constraint bottom edge of all 3 vertical plate. load is 92N on face of side silh. fx direction. I have tried manual contact and still deformation is larger than expected. Please help. 

Regards,

Yash

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums