Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP file import to Inventor 2021 comes blank

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
anejad22
1742 Views, 9 Replies

STEP file import to Inventor 2021 comes blank

Hello Everyone,

I have a structural 3D file from STAAD Pro and want to open in Inventor 2021, the STEP file I received from our structural engineer opens as blank in inventor, I searched the entire forum and lots of people talk about software or hardware issues, I am sure in my case both software and hardware are ok because I used 3 platforms with 3 different inventors from 2019 to 2021 and still the same issue, can some one help please? I have attached the file

Thank you

Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
imajar
in reply to: anejad22

Same here, nothing imported in Inventor, Fusion, or 3DS.  But I did get something in NavisWorks.  Unfortunately, the only thing Navisworks will export is .fbx, it is attached below (as well as a .obj which inventor can open).  If possible, I would suggest you read the STAAD Pro documentation and see if there are any export options they can change and request a new export.  Inventor can open mesh files, but it isn't awesome.  (I might suggest opening the fbx in fusion and using that convert to solids if you cant get a better export).

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@anejad22 wrote:

I have a structural 3D file from STAAD Pro...

Does that software offer the option to export the STEP in Application Protocol Schema 203, 214 or 242 rather than as LPM6?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
anejad22
in reply to: imajar

ok thanks for the reply, it is definitely a software issue from STAAD.Pro

Message 5 of 10
anejad22
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, thanks for the reply, no it does not give you those options, STAAD.Pro export beams as a line, i was able to open the DXF file in CAD, then from CAD exported to STEP file and then opened in Inventor, it worked, However I only can see the plates and no ibeam, 

Message 6 of 10
imajar

Did you try downloading the file I provided in the 2nd post?  Did it not work?

Aaron Jarrett, PE
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 7 of 10
anejad22

Hi, yes I did, I can see the entire structure now, I opened the OBJ file in Inventor and it looks good, so without Navis this wouldn't be possible, but I really appreciate your help and followup on this, 

Regards

Ari

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! The STEP file is using a schema Inventor does not support. Another simple solution is to export it as dwg. Then Inventor can easily import it as 3D solids.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
U2097205

can you tell me how you transformed it into obj file ?

Message 10 of 10
imajar
in reply to: U2097205

Sadly, that was a long time ago and I don't remember exactly what I did. . . but if I were to try again, I would try to import the Navisworks generated FBX into one of the following and export out again as an obj.  (If you attempt fusion360, then you might attempt re-importing the source file and see how it goes).

• Autocad 2018 or earlier (2019 and on removed the ability to import FBX)
  • Fusion 360
  • 3DS max
  • Meshmixer

And I don't recall if this was mentioned this previously, but the Navisworks method does not maintain geometry fidelity because Navisworks re-meshes on import - so if you need "exact" geometry, a different method would be advised (but I understand that sometimes you are simply stuck with whatever file you are provided!).

Aaron Jarrett, PE
LinkedIn

Life is Good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report