Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP export issues since upgrading from 2017 to 2019

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ScottDurham
1290 Views, 5 Replies

STEP export issues since upgrading from 2017 to 2019

Hi everyone, I'm really hoping someone can help me with an important issue for my company.

We recently upgraded from 2017 Pro to 2019 Pro about 2 months ago.  We rely on step files to share geometry with our shops.  In the past few weeks, we are starting to get feedback that our shops cannot read our step files (presumably Solidworks or Mastercam imports).  We never had issues in the past, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having step export issue with 2019?

Info about the problem:

All the 2019 exported steps re-import into inventor fine.  Inventor is up to date and the same result occurs from multiple workstations.

The problem step files show up with zero solids (I presume only surfaces) when importing into edrawings for testing. (I don't have any other solidworks products to test the import with).

The same Inventor files export fine from Inventor 2017 to eDrawings.

Autodesk Viewer exhibits the same missing solid data as eDrawings on the issue files.

I generated a simple cube part and exported step and eDrawings even had an issue viewing that.

So the only thing I can conclude, is that Inventor 2019 is the only program that can read it's own step exports.  Again 2017 had no issues, it doesn't appear to be a geometry specific, and I don't believe the issue is with the importing software, since both eDrawings and Autodesk Viewer cannot import the solids.  I've attached two files of the same geometry.  One is from 2017 and one is 2019.  Is there any way to understand why the 2017 file imports to other programs okay, but the 2019 file doesn't?  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ScottDurham

Opens fine for me in SolidWorks 2017.

The only thing I can suggest is trying STEP 203 rather than 214.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
ScottDurham
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD.  I have tried that and had the same result.  Can you try with Autodesk Viewer or eDrawings?

Message 4 of 6
ScottDurham

I stumbled across this which you were involved with https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/exporting-to-step-yields-transparent-models/m-p/844685....  Maybe this is the issue I'm having?  I can't confirm that it is coming in as surfaces, but I do know I can only see geometry when I turn on wire frame or shaded edges.  

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Scott,

This is indeed related to transparency appearance support in STEP export. On Inventor 2019 RTM and earlier, STEP is not able to export transparent appearance. It led to dull appearance. I am able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing. The issue has been fixed in the coming 2019.4 update.

In the meantime, you can edit the STEP file in a text editor like Notepad and then change the value for TRANSPARENT from 1 to 0. Save the file (see attached file). Then it should import correctly to other systems.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
ScottDurham
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks guys. I'll mark this as solved and subscribe to the other post.  I really appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report