Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Mesh

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lkirit2000
3517 Views, 7 Replies

Steel Mesh

Hi 

Please see the attached image of mesh square 25 x 25 and wire diameter 3 mm. Is this available in content center or Do I need to Draw ?

Is there any best idea ?

MESH.JPG

Rgds

Kiri 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: lkirit2000

Hi Kiri,

Years ago it was easy to apply the appearance to a part the way you want. Here is a part, representing a shelf made out of wire mesh. In IV2010 - it was fairly easy to control the appearance. Now, with "much improved" material editor in Inventor (for which no one asked ever!) I have no idea - how to modify the appearance of that very part! Maybe you will get a better luck.

Cheers,

Igor.

@lkirit2000 wrote:

Hi 

Please see the attached image of mesh square 25 x 25 and wire diameter 3 mm. Is this available in content center or Do I need to Draw ?

Is there any best idea ?

MESH.JPG

Rgds

Kiri 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 8
lkirit2000
in reply to: IgorMir

Hi 

Thanks for your prompt response.

Regards

Message 4 of 8

If you want to have a "real" part modeled for mass properties / cutting details etc you could use an i-part with a table driving the sizes etc.

I have attached a very simple example.

Igors suggestion of the visual over-ride is a quick way forward but will not represent mass etc correctly.

Really depends on your expectations going forward.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or LIKES button below.

Daren

Dell Precision 7720 + P3418HW
Windows 10
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Inventor 2021.0.1, Vault Professional 2021, Showcase 2017
Message 5 of 8

If you do it using the Appearance method to fake the look of the mesh, you can create a physical material to go along with it to give a reasonably accurate weight.  This would use an "average" density to make the total weight of the part come out correctly, even though the volume is not necessarily accurate (in this case, not even close).

This method of dealing with the weight is potentially applicable in many situations with mesh, grate, or expanded metal materials.  It can also be used in situations where the real object is actually made up of multiple materials, such as a hydraulic hose (which could consist of a combination of wire braid and rubber).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: lkirit2000

Here is 1 I use. It is .5 Squares

I use saveas and the change Extrusion 3 to the size I need.

I use this because I hate how the bmp looks for wire mesh.

Message 7 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Douglas,

That's all great. But can you apply folds to that part? Not without a great deal of work, I afraid.

I have created the same part before as well. For the purpose of working out the accurate length of the material to be cut out of the mesh sheet. Yet for the shelf design it was a lot more convenient to use just a standard sheet metal module and apply an appropriate surface texture to the part. That process worked a treat. But, as I said in my first post - it is a mission and a half in IV2018. For example - before, to change the spacing in mesh cells I could increase or decrease the scale factor of the applied texture. Now that function it is hidden so well - I can not find it! What an "improvement" to the software!

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is 1 I use. It is .5 Squares

I use saveas and the change Extrusion 3 to the size I need.

I use this because I hate how the bmp looks for wire mesh.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 8

That is excellent Daren. Stealing it! LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report