Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking small Cylinder on top of each other at an angle

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
909 Views, 8 Replies

Stacking small Cylinder on top of each other at an angle

I am trying to make a figure I have attached the picture. I want two stacks of cylinders on top of each other but offset at an angle.

Mantis_shrimp-club-fibrils.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Angle constraint between Origin planes and Pattern.

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! There are multiple ways to do this in Inventor. You can do it in a multi-solid body part. Or, you can create feature-based component pattern in an assembly. Could you attach your attempt so far? Forum experts should be able to show you a good workflow.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Attached is a quick attempt, not sure if you want it as a part, assembly or how you want to achieve it, but just created a Coil as Surface and Project Geometry of the edge to a 3D Sketch for use with a Rectangular Pattern by Directional Curve Length

SpiralCyl.png

If you can attach your initial attempt it would help to know the dimension scale you are working with, as well as the Inventor Version you are using to ensure you can open any attached files. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Humm, pretty good. I want it to be 3D printed. I had started it by changing the angles between multiple planes but it takes too much work and I think it's not efficient. But the way you have done is great.

And thanks. The community seems very engaging. I am starting to indulge in 3D printing and wanted to make that for one of my projects. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
-niels-

Ahw... 2019 file... You didn't mention that @kelly.young Smiley Sad

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 9
kelly.young
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- whoops I didn't realize that, I try to post at 2018 by default if they haven't stated a version, but you're right I/we should include the version in the file name for others to benefit.

I switch between releases so much I don't even know what I'm using half the time. I think just prior I was messing with the lock rotation and opposed aligned constraints. Am I tempting you to upgrade just to see it?! 

Message 8 of 9
-niels-

@kelly.young wrote:

Am I tempting you to upgrade just to see it?! 

Haha, well a little bit i guess...

I've got 2019 installed at home but haven't gotten round to playing with it yet and have even less time to test (or even install) it at work.

I managed to recreate it in 2018 but i'm not sure i positioned the coil properly, so i was interested to see how you did that exactly. Smiley Wink

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 9
kelly.young
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- Here's the 2018 file, I tweaked it a bit to be able to adjust to any size through the iLogic Form.

Twist.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report