Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split solid body into two parts with split only going defined depth

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
awas.zaidan
722 Views, 7 Replies

Split solid body into two parts with split only going defined depth

Hi,

My title might be a little confusing so here is the explanation. I have a single solid body I would like to split into two part (for a mold).

The problem is that one of the parts core crosses over the split plane and gets cut off when I try to split it.

This is a basic sketch so you can see what I mean:

sketch of issue.png

As you can see part 1 center piece extends over the plane where I want to split the part so the top ends up being cut off.

This is the model I am trying to make a mold from (File attached):

Model Images.png

To try and get it I extruded a square over the top of this "ball" then used combine/cut to cut the ball out of that block like this (file attached):

Block with ball removed.png

So it I had it as a block (1 solid) with the ball removed leaving a cavity to make the mold. The plan was to split on the plane as you can see but the problem arises of cutting the other part in half as well.

I am new to inventor so I am probably looking at this all wrong.

Thanks in advance for you help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kenny__84
in reply to: awas.zaidan

I would just copy the part in windows explorer and make a top part and a bottom part.

In one part you extrude in direction 1 and in the other in direction 2.

Is this any help?

Message 3 of 8
awas.zaidan
in reply to: kenny__84

One of the parts goes over the split line so if you did that you would only have half of one of them (exactly the same as what I have now). Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying? Thanks for your advice.

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Look at the screencast, you can do it like this.

I also attached the file I made (2017).

Hope it helps, good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 8

Awesome thank you very much!!!

Message 6 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: awas.zaidan

I don't have time now to produce the parts or a screencast, but the split tool can be any kind of surface.  You could produce a revolved surface (since your part is round) with the exact contours you want, or use Thicken to create the composite surface.  Then split the mold with that.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.3.1
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 7 of 8

I would do this design very differently that the examples already presented.

Are you willing to start over from scratch following step-by-step instructions?

Message 8 of 8

Hi,

The answers presented do work well. However there is always room for improvement in my knowledge. If you have a better/other way that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report