Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoothing Out a Chunky STL File?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
phlyx
578 Views, 6 Replies

Smoothing Out a Chunky STL File?

We had a demo of a new Keyence 3D scanner and for part of the demo, the rep scanned in a piece of machinery we could not get 3D models for.  The scan looked good on their system, but when we open it with Inventor 2022.5 (I am also running 2024 if that has any new feature that may help) it is just a mass of triangles.  What we would like to do is make this a smooth model, dumb solid, so we can put it in our assembly for reference and also fill in some of the areas that the scanner missed.  It looks like this:

2024-05-30_094530.jpg

And is basically a big dark mass on the screen.  I have mesh enabler installed and did a "Convert to Base Feature", got a warning it was over 5000 triangle and would take a long time, so I let it run overnight.  This morning it had finished and basically looked like a hundred rolls of fishing line exploded on my screen.  Ugh.

Is there any way to turn this into a smoothed out model so we can add it to our top level assembly?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: phlyx

Hi

When you open the mesh, set the visual style to edgeless.

Is there a way to create a model from a mesh?

Good news - Yes.
The bad news - only with hard work.

You will use the mesh points to create workplanes and for projection in order to correctly position the sketches.

You can create some surfaces faster using this tool:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2025/ENU/?guid=GUID-BDCF1B3C-E5F1-45CF-B506-0B16AB21314E

Easily creates free, flat or cylindrical surfaces.

But generally speaking - mesh is a reference material - and with this you have a lot of work to do on the model.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 7
Frederick_Law

Welcome to the 3D scanning world.

Call the demo person.

They should have software to clean up and make 3D model.

My scanning software can "close" the surface and make solid.

IMG_20171123_124753.jpg

IMG_20171126_193319.jpg

IMG_20171126_151134.jpg

Geomagic is one: https://www.3dsystems.com/software

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Scott,

You may want to try out the Mesh Design environment in Fusion 360. It does have the ability to convert mesh to smooth Tspline geometry.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
phlyx

Thanks for the input and @johnsonshiue I just installed Fusion and I'll give that a try.  The scanner guy was just giving a demo so didn't want to impose on him more than we already did.

Message 6 of 7
phlyx

@johnsonshiue, installed Fusion and was playing around with some mesh functions and looked like converting it to "organic" might be what I need, but that's an extra $$$ add-in.  Cannot find anything else to make these smooth.  Do you have any experts there that could try?  Don't want to put the mesh models in the forums but I could email them or get them to you somehow.

Message 7 of 7
Frederick_Law

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report