Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketch on IDW out of memory

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MikeKovacik4928
885 Views, 7 Replies

sketch on IDW out of memory

Every now and then on this idw I get  message "out of memory" while trying to do a sketch.

The drawing is quite big-18xA1 sheets, 38.6 MB, 125 Parts (biggest of which is 1.915MB)

18 assemblies, the biggest of which is 1.68MB.

It hasn't yet prevented my from finishing the idw, but does appear quite often, and to

get rid of it, I exit sketch by undoing, and start the sketch again.

I assume I have reached the limit of of what I am able to do in inventor in 1 file?

It is nice to have been able to do this project in one idw, with everything linked to it.

It makes it very easy to pack and go, when I want to save latest progress in the project,

to a separate directory, I just pack and go everything linked to the one idw

I could have done some of the 18 drawings as different idw files, to make each idw file

smaller.

Has anybody else got this message?

What does it mean? idw File too big?

How do you avoid it.? By using more and smaller idw files?

Michael Kovacik
AutoCAD 2d & 3d & Inventor Manufacturing Draughtsman
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2017
Johannesburg, South Africa

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Computer specs? Specifically are you 32 bit or 64 bit Windows and how much RAM do you have (clearly not enough Smiley Wink )

If 64 bit you should get more RAM

If 32 bit then get a new computer already as what you are working on is basically an ancient childs toy or office secretaries computer Smiley Tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8

@MikeKovacik4928 wrote:

....I assume I have reached the limit of of what I am able to do in inventor in 1 file?

I have had larger assemblies with far more sheets in a single drawing file.

But my use of sketches in drawings is for very limited and specific uses.

Can you post a screen capture of one of these drawing or drawing view level sketches?

Message 4 of 8
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: mcgyvr

64 bit here at work with 16GB ram (see attached)

I will let you know tonight what my computer at home is.

Funnily enough I have never had any problems on my home computer,

so I suspect it has more ram.

Funnily enough the problem is intermittent. The drawing and the file are continually

getting bigger, so theoretically I shouldn't be able to continue working!

It only seems to happen with certain things, mainly if I am overlaying a sketch on a projected

view.

I have spoken to my boss here and they are going to buy me a new computer with 32GB ram

Can you give me a good specification to buy for large assemblies and big drawings in Inventor

Message 5 of 8

okay

here are my computer specs at home.

Here is what the autodesk reseller recommends.

Lets see what I get!

Autodesk reseller told me over phone, that out of memory happens when I have too many other files open in

Inventor as well as AutoCAD open at the same time, with numerous files open in that too.

I should try & cut down on number of files open simultaneously, and have only AutoCAD or Inventor open not both.

Maybe with new spec computer I won't have to worry about that!

Message 6 of 8

@MikeKovacik4928

Windows Virtual Memory Setting?  Is set to be managed or is it set to custom (and at the recommended setting)?

Do you have enough free disk space where the program and files are stored?

Have you cleaned out your personal temp (%temp%) folder?    This folder is located under C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\local\temp...   Appdata is a hidden folder too.

Update:  Also do you have any 3rd party Inventor add-ons?  Meaning add-ons that you added after the installation of Inventor.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 8
blair

Looks like you have more than enough memory at 32Gb. Possibly you have a Windows update that's been hanging a system restart. I would close up all files and programs and do a system restart and see if Windows updates are pending.

It never hurts to do a system reboot every week or so anyways.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr

@MikeKovacik4928 wrote:

okay

here are my computer specs at home.

Here is what the autodesk reseller recommends.

So you have the issue on your 16G RAM computer (work?) but not the 32G RAM (home computer).. Pretty much narrows it down to running out of RAM (and a few other things but I think its probably safe to say thats probably the issue there)..

There is a tool called memprobe.exe located in the BIN folder under C:Program Files/Autodesk/Inventor 2017/BIN that can be used to monitor Inventors RAM usage,etc.. That might show the issue as its happening..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report