Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TEDPOWERTRAIN
329 Views, 5 Replies

Sketch issue

Hi

I have tried to delete the following line, but it failed. Once I pressed the delete button, I waited, and nothing happened. Can someone tell me why. Btw if you can delete it, pls help me to do it cuz my pc is kinda trash, I don't want to wait too long. Screenshot 2023-06-11 214221.pngScreenshot 2023-06-11 214159.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Holy broken geometry...

I am not sure what is corrupted exactly, but if you drag the "End Of Part" marker up to "Boundary Patch 2", there will be no issue. Moving the EOP marker above that crashes Inventor. That Boundary Patch is what I guess is corrupted if I had to bet, and you will see below why...

Gabriel_Watson_0-1686539735102.png

I removed all file links (simulation and other embedded links, seen at Tools tab > Links), then I deleted all features except for the faulty Boundary Patch 2 and its suspicious 3D Sketch1. I unshared Sketch 1 and deleted Boundary Patch 2, then saved the file with a different name. Now, I was able to edit the 3D Sketch and use, instead of simple "Delete", the TRIM function. I had to click 16 times to delete this section in your sketch to finally have it cut off!

Either all those links or geometry sharing the same sketch based on overlapping lines breaks Inventor, or maybe just the fact that the whole thing is using some pretty weird (bad) practices to create something so simple.

Anyways, attached is the fixed 3D Sketch and I hope you can reconstruct the rest back from this point on. Trying the same operations (trim) on the original file will not work and also crashes Inventor.

Gabriel_Watson_1-1686540011340.png

Message 3 of 6

Hi @Gabriel_Watson 

I am not sure why there is overlapping sketches in the fixed file. I just want to create a solid through surface patch. 

TEDPOWERTRAIN_0-1686569040221.png

Ted

Message 4 of 6

Hi @Gabriel_Watson 

I was trying to create a solid but it failed. I think it is a tolerance issue or the overlap sketch. Can you help me? I want to create the nose cone like my previous model.

Thanks 

Ted

Message 5 of 6

You have these "lips" on the existing surfaces that are confusing Inventor. I'm not sure how to fix them all, but this is a big job I'd need a lot more time to go through. I would suggest keeping the lines cleaner without overlapping curves and lips on the edges, which are sticking out of a plane now:

Gabriel_Watson_0-1686575975033.png

Message 6 of 6

Hi @Gabriel_Watson 

I couldn't delete the overlapping sketch.

Ted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report