Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch dimension ambiguity

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gerrardhickson
334 Views, 4 Replies

Sketch dimension ambiguity

Hi all,

I've been using Inventor since R14, and there has always been a problem that shows its head from time to time when dimensioning sketch points (possibly other occassions too). The problem is dimensional ambiguity - that is, when a set of given dimensions and constraints result in two (or more) possible and valid solutions.

Here's an example, that almost bit me this morning.

Here is the sketch as intended - note d190 is 50mm from the edge of the flange.

gerrardhickson_0-1684715652407.png

Here is the sketch as I found it after opening the file this morning:

note d190 is still 50mm from the edge of the flange, but its flipped to the opposite side.

gerrardhickson_1-1684715662089.png

In my case, this resulted in a clash that could have resulted in hundreds of these panels being issued wrong. Fortunately for me the drawings had already been issued to production, and were correct at the time.

My question is - have other people overcome this problem reliably? If so,  what techniques are you using to remove the ambiguity?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
swalton
in reply to: gerrardhickson

I haven't seen the behavior that you are.  Did the number of flanges on the part change between the good sketch and the unexpected sketch?

Its hard to tell from your screenshot, but is d190 tied to the endpoint of the bend line or to the projected edge of the flange?  I'm not sure if it will make a difference.

swalton_0-1684722721955.png

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 5
gerrardhickson
in reply to: swalton

@swalton - You were right, it was attached to the point, however,  I came back to this part today and found the same problem had occurred again.

I can confirm that (this time) the dimension was applied to the line, not the point.

I dug a little deeper via VBA, and I can demonstrate that the dimension was attached to a line and point and that the dimension had incorrectly set the DimensionCenterPoint. Notice the Y Value from the DimensionCenterPoint object below.

Before:

gerrardhickson_0-1685417752687.png

gerrardhickson_1-1685417759625.png

After:

gerrardhickson_2-1685417821173.png

gerrardhickson_3-1685417828098.png

Message 4 of 5
JoyceZhou
in reply to: gerrardhickson

@gerrardhickson Could you share the part so we could check on my side? thanks

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 5 of 5

Hi Joyce, I'll send a PM with the download link to the file.

I should also mention that the part has model states.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report