Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

show isometric grid in drawings

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jefferyjensen
20441 Views, 12 Replies

show isometric grid in drawings

Hello Inventor Users,

How do I show an isometric grid in my Inventor drawing layouts?

Below is a figure from my classroom textbook (Basic Technical Drawing, 8th by Spencer, p. 138). I'm trying to create some homework assignments and would like to have the isometric grid displayed in the background on some parts.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff Jensen

basictechdwg-fig7-27p138.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
henrygra000
in reply to: jefferyjensen

you don't

Message 3 of 13
kennyj

Hello Jeff Jensen,

If you create the grid in a sketch, you can turn on the sketch to be visible. 

I would actually lay this out in AutoCAD (using the Iso mode, then copy/paste to an inventor Part sketch).  You can then insert the part into an assembly, with the sketch visible, or create your drawing in that part file, and have the sketch visible.  If you go to a drawing sheet, you will need to use the "get model sketch" option to see the grid on the drawing sheet.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

Message 4 of 13

Hi jeffjensen,

If I had this need I would edit the Border definition of the drawing and insert the grid as an image. To get the image you would scan in a sheet of the grid paper (or find a compatible back ground image online).

Then you would need to place the views of the parts on the grid just by eyeballing it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 13
mcgyvr

I see the need if we were still drafting with pencils and actually drawing isometric views..

But in a CAD program like Inventor... How would you screw that up when the isometric is automatically generated?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 13
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I see the need if we were still drafting with pencils and actually drawing isometric views..

But ...

Hi mcgyvr,

I think the idea is that the student can use the grid to determine the size of each edge, by counting grid blocks, and therefore they can create models from those un-dimensioned views, by knowing for instance that 1 unit = 1 cm

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 7 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

But ...

Hi mcgyvr,

I think the idea is that the student can use the grid to determine the size of each edge, by counting grid blocks, and therefore they can create models from those un-dimensioned views, by knowing for instance that 1 unit = 1 cm

I hope this helps.
Curtis

AHHH... Yes... I actually think I remember doing that exact same exercise back in school now.. 

It would be nice if there was a "hatch pattern" that could just be used and the view just placed over it.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 13
mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

It would be nice if there was a "hatch pattern" that could just be used and the view just placed over it.. 

oh... looks like you can.. Create a sketch.. Draw a rectangle.. hatch it.. create another rectangle over the other.. hatch it.. using ANSI 31 and adjust the angles for each to accomplish the grid.. Make it a light gray color,etc..

isogrid.PNG

Message 9 of 13
blair

It gets you close but it still lacks the vertical lines for ISO View Sketching.

It just makes me want to go looking for my old T-Square and Triangles, maybe even dig out my old Stirling slide rule and put on my school boy shorts.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 13
jefferyjensen

Hello mcgyvr,

Yes, very close to what I'm looking for. Here is an example from Amazon

Alvin 1242-6 Isometric Paper 100-Sheet Pack 11 inches x 17 inches

Shows the vertical line in addition to the diamonds you have drawn. Is it possible to a dotted linetype?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Jensen

Message 11 of 13

From kennyj's recommendation, within AutoCAD, can use ISODRAFT command, see About 2D Isometric Drawing

but still trying to figure out how to export the isometric grid from AutoCAD and import into Inventor.

thanks,

Jeff Jensen

Message 12 of 13
kennyj

Just use Windows Copy/Paste.  

Highlight the Autocad drawing, Copy.  Open inventor Sketch, Paste.  It will let you place the sketch where you want it.  Then select all, "Fix" to constrain the drawing.  Save the sketch.

(You will have to actually draw the lines; you cannot select the Autocad Grid to my knowledge).

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

In the UK isometric is still part of the basic design courses undertaken in school and many schools use sketchbook so it would be so useful to have Isometric grids in the same way was the perspective. And from a teaching point of view perspective is difficult to grasp for some reason and not so much isometric.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report